I got a free RBTA

MrRoo

In Memoriam
After a local Marine Expo I went to a local store and purchased 2 percula clowns and they gave me a free RBTA. The clown are ignoring it but I hope they will find it soon. However the RBTA moved to the rocks almost behind my tank and is not visible from the front of the tank, can I move him? I put a shrimp on his tentacles but he just let it go so I was going to try again tomorrow. Right now I only have 2x 96w PC but since I got the RBTA I was going to get a reefgeek 36" 4x39W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit, is that enough light?

Holy cow, what did the clowns cost? I have never heard of and LFS giving one away! Congrats!

Nice specimen, give it a week then try feeding it.

Are the clowns W/C or TB?

It seemed to move away from the flow and less light... Thats what didn't make sense to me. It moved to the underside of a rock that is in the back of the tank and gets less light and flow...

How long will the RBTA be ok with the PCs? I am going to order the lights next week.

The clows were $19.99, I have no idea why they gave it to me for free. They asked what lights I had and I told them and they said it would do great.

What does W/C and TB mean?

Once it acclimated, it will reach for light. it usually takes up to two weeks to find a spot it really likes. Don't worry about where it goes, just watch out for other corals from getting stung as it moves

W/C =wild caught T/B = tank bred.

When a bubble has bubble tipped ends it is a sign that it's not hungry... when the tentacles start to stretch out, then it's hungry. Don't worry too much about where the anemone has located itself. It's quite common for RBTA's to actually put their "foot" into a hole under an overhang and then stretch out into the light when they feel like it. Remember not to feed it too large a piece of shrimp when you go to feed it. Small and often is better mealwise. An overfed anemone will puke up the excess and it's not a pretty site.
Nice catch on the freebie!! Good luck!

I am not sure if they were WC or TB, I didn't ask. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.

Ok I will look at how his tentacles are tomorrow. So I should just feed him a small piece of krill?

I disagree with bubble tip ends as a sign of anything. Mine have never shown bubble tips and it isn't always hungry. Some of it's clones show bubble tip occasionaly. At a LFS I was told they show bubble tips when they're hosted, and mine are and they don't.

Mine behave just the way I said...bubble when not hungry and stretched when it is. Every animal is different..it's not written in stone. A small piece of krill would be fine. Use a pair of tweezers or forceps and place the piece of krill close to the mouth and shake it a little. You can put it on the tentacles, but most anemones move slow and fish will steal back when they can.

Well I woke up this morning to find the anenome sucked up into one of my powerheads. He is still attached to the glass but he is all shriveled up......

Koralia's.... There were pieces all over the tank and after I got him free he wouldn't stick to anything and was just getting blown all around.

Take some rock rubble...put it in a small plastic container...put what left of the anemone inside. Put it in your tank where it gets light and a very gentle current. So it just barely sways. If the foot survived, it may survive...happened to me once and 6 months later I was finding baby anemones all over the tank. Do a water change asap.

Anenome is no more.... So sad, I had him for 1 day! I had to do a water change and clean up parts of him that were floating around

oh man thats horrible im sorry to read about your loss... makes me worry since i just got a new rtba and run koralia's

With as often as it happens, I'm not sure why people don't take the precaution of covering their powerheads. :( Then again, I don't know how you'd make a Koralia nem proof.

Back