I have no clue what to do!

jafish26

I moved over 2 months ago and with me was my 75 gallon rr tank. I have around 100 lbs of rock, mostly soft coarls, also 3 fish. Im running a sump with rubble. Im also running a phosban reactor with phoslock (changed weekly) for over 2 months now and I still have algae covering all my glass within 3 days to the point its a good film cover! Now it always says i have a hint of phosphates I dont know what else to do phoslock gets expensive everyweek for that long and I cant figure out where it is leaching? ask me any ? I will answer just please help thanks!

what are the results of your phosphate test?

The problem might also be low current, and you might need to place more powerheads in your tank. how much water are you moving ? and how much does your tank take?

You do not specify if you use RODI water. Phosphates come from things that you put into your tank (Food, Salt, & Water). RODI is a good start, limiting food with a gel biner is another.
Aglae needs Food(Phosphate or Nitrate) and Light. Limit light to 8 hrs and keep the nitrates down.

Some brands of carbon also are rather high in phosphates. Have you changed brands? I used a store brand for a while and got hair algae all over the place, even with Phosban. When I switched back to Black Diamond my algae receded rather quickly.

i use ro from my ro unit and it test 0. For movment i use a 700 return and 2 seio 1500's so im sure i have enough with that. I thought it was nitrates but they are zero'd out too thats why i dont know what to do

Changing Phosphate resin way to much. Check Alk and Nitrates with someone else's test kit. You may have a bad reagent in your kit.

Get a fuge going. Put algae in it. I have caulerpa, chaetomorpha, and hair algae. I ran my 50g for 3 years feeding twice a day and with 8 fish in it and nitrates and phosphates were zero and no algae in the main tank.

Back