I hurd the pop noise!

shellzreef

2:55 pm.......trying to fall asleep..and then i hear it...POOP!!! soon after a horrid waterfall sound!! My fug tank cracked! From the bulk head to the bottom! WHYYY??? and now what do i do? start over? i think im just gonna get plexi and make my own tank. Is that safe either? Does anyone think I could silicon the crack and reinforce it somehow? im soooo crushed! :sad1:

Maybe over tightened bulkhead or stress from unsupported plumbing/pump or damaged hole in glass caused when drilling or hole drilled too close to edge of glass. Build a new fuge out of an old tank and it will be cheaper and easier than first purchasing all required tools, solvents and acrylics. Then you must learn to work with acrylic, then designing, and finaly building with acrylic. Acrylic can crack too.

fug tank is 20 extra high.....the whole was drillled about five inch from the top and seven inch from the side. The bulk head may have been to tight...how do i know?? =( acrylic can crack also? ...i have a pic..........
004.jpg

im lost...don't know what to do now!! tell me if u think this is ok..........im thinking of smashing up the tank a little more to release some stress, then using the top and bottom rims as the design and brace for the acrylic. ......is that ok???

ask local reefers if they have any tanks they can give up for free or sell cheap. craigslist should have a lot of people selling aquariums for cheap

also ask around if you can get people to let you borrow some plastic containers to put the livestock in while you look for a new tank

i hate this!! and of course its stupid christmas decorating day so my whole damn family needs to be down in my basement!!! ahhhhhh!!! But...oh i donno ill get back on here in a little bit

I think you should skip the acrylic idea unless you have experience bonding it, and working with it in general. A 20H isn't that expensive to replace if you want to set it up the same way. building an acrylic sump will probably cost much more.
As for why it cracked, it's hard to say. I doubt you over tightened the bulkhead, but I suppose anything it possible. It looks like you're supporting the tank by the bottom glass??? Hard to tell from the pic, but that tank is desgned to be supported by the plastic bottom trim not the glass. Was that the problem? Who knows... Your pic doesn't really show what kind of plumbing is attached to the bulkhead, but the bulkhead shouldn't be supporting any weight or lateral forces either...

HTH,
Tim

Go with acrylic. It is safer in this respect. I have wood floors so I whet with an acrylic tank and sump because I was concerned with leaks and/or cracks. Everyone will have a different opinion when the glass vs. acrylic topic comes up. I would not waste time building a sump, just buy an old acrylic tank if you are on a budget or find a used sump.

I know this is gonna sound like I'm bein a [profanity]. But why bother fixing a 20 gallon tank. They can't be more than 50 or 60 bucks even drilled. Just buy another tank

Last edited by a moderator:
flyin2gz..its cool...this is already my second tank....:sad2: the first one I fell down the steps with.... that sounds sooo stupid! But this is for a fug, I already have a sump.......the point of the extra high was to make it over flow into the tank. As for the plumbing out of the bulk head, its only a pvp w/ an elbow that just over flows into the DT. hllywd ...yes, your right i did make a lil stand that was on the bottom....crap, i didnt even thing of that!! UGGHHH! I donno..i just liked the way it looked, thats why i did it! But apparently something thinks it shouldn't be that way! lol I can do it pretty much anyway I want. But now I just don't know what to do! I also drilled the hole myself, I think it would of broke either way. Im enjoying learning and like doing things myself...whats the deal with bonding the acrylic? ....hummm what to do?! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back