I love SPS!!!!! eye candy!!!

hal000

hello everyone!! this is my first thread:) i have been reefkeeping for about 5 years now, about 18 months ago, i decided to try some tiny browened out sps frags i had gotten on a trade for some chaeto, and oh well need i say more, the fever began!!!
after upgrading the lighting(1st time) had to get more frags to keep the fever going!
then about 5 months ago i decided i had to move, "wow" i said,
what a great time to move my 55gal reef to a 75, then i can make the plunge to go "SPS tank", upgrade lights again, buy more frags and spend lots of money i dont have, but you all know how it is, gotta keep that fever going!
so anyway this is where i am at now with all the above said and done, all of my softies, most of my lps, and some polyps have been traded in for acro frags, the new display tank and the moved items, have been in there new home for about 3 -4 months and all is been going better than ever, some of my little colonys have been growing like weeds, and my newer frags which most of where fresh cut frags not mounted, have all encrusted there homade plugs, some have even started on the rocks. in the last 3 weeks there has been rapid growth!
anyway i just wanted to thank every one on reef central, since this is where i have recieved 99.9999% of my info, and since i love the reading and looking at the eye candy here! i think it is time to thank and share, and since i am just learning how to use this damn camara i've had for 4 years, i think i can do so without embarassing my self to much! lol
over the next week i would like to post shots of all my sps,then once a month give you some give you some growth shots. i would also love to see your similar corals and groth shots!
this is all i have for now,some atinic, and nightlight shots, and 2 newest frags, tonight i just wanted to say thankyou everone!

just got friday, ora puple plasma and ora red planet "i hope i dont see anymore frags i want, as i can't find any room" oh oh time to upsize LOL
IMG_3454.jpg

Last edited:
some atinic shots under 3x super atinics and 1x75.25 110 watt vho
IMG_3318.jpg

ora hawkins, ora blue mille
IMG_3320.jpg

mettalic red mille
IMG_3326.jpg

some tabling acro
IMG_3332.jpg

Hydnophora
IMG_3343.jpg

Nice corals. I switched over to sps also. It's been a little over a year and I'm loving it. Great camera skills, looks good.

how long has the plate coral been laying against that rock like that? I've never had luck keeping a plate on anything but sand. It looks nice though!!!:cool:

Very nice shots and tank...im glad everyone is buying all the ora corals.. now i can get a cheep frag of them

Very, very nice tank, i love sps, do you use any kind of supplements like probidio or zeovit by any chance or just a calcium reactor

sana

You weren't kidding about no room. I think you should give some to me when they start growing...LOL! Nice looking tank. I got the red planet and wanted the purple plasma but went with the pearlberry instead.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13163708#post13163708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by paveking1
That tank is going to look great when those corals mature.It looks great now & has some nice colors .
Took the words right out of my .... keyboard.

Thank you for all your great comments!

the plate coral i have had for about 8-10 months,it's always been proped up like that, but it always falls down into the sand, the clams are constently blowing sand up on him, then making him fall.
no calcium reactor yet, as of now i loose 2-2.50 gallons of water a day, i have no chiller and i live in fla. , so to solve that problem i have 2 ac's blowing right on the tank, keeps the water stable at 78.8-81.6,also have 3x fans in canopy, and tank & refugium are uncovered, allowing me to drip 2.50 gallons of kalk in 24 hours! at the moment this seems to keep the water pretty stable.
once a week, i do a 15 gallon water change(total water volume is about 100g), add 15-20 tsp. mag.to keep at about 1400, i test first.
once a week i add 6-10 tsp of calcium chloride to keep calcuim about 440-450. i also test 1st.
once a week add about 4 tsp. of reef builder to keep alk. up, i matian my alk at 8dkh.
i add no more ph buffers,after going to kalk, before the kalk it was a nightmare trying to keep everything in balance,my ph was always low and had big swings, not to mention the amount of sh@t i was adding to the water with no effect!! now my ph is always 8.1-8.3!
i only check iodine every 2 or 3 months, then get the levels back up! the levels aways drop back down to 0 in this time but i see no effect on the corals! it does however seem to make my shirmps
and crabs molt more frequntly when levels are up. if anybody can share there experience on iodine dosing, i would love to hear and learn more on this.
i am also looking into dosing potassium, but need to know more about it! please share agian!

i am starting to document my corals so i can see monthly growth, i am starting on the right side of my tank and making my way to the left. so here are some more pics
IMG_3534a.jpg

IMG_3534aa.jpg

Last edited:
my ora hawkins after brutalizing it with the dremal cutting that damn plug in half!
IMG_3588a.jpg

got a frag pack from dr. mac at pacificeast, 12 for 99$ one did not make it in shipment, the others came in much better than i thought they would. they came in unmounted, they were all very dull, almost colorless,but for the most part some very nice frags, well worth the 99$ i will refer to these frags as dr mac frag#1-11

dr mac frag#1
IMG_3596a.jpg

part of my digitata experiment
IMG_3610a.jpg

digitata experiment! fhi pink smoothi, german blue ,orange,shades of green,and some other reds or puples i'm not sure about yet!
IMG_3629a.jpg

german blue,my first sps, got as trade in for some algea , was a browned out little thing, also has broke many times.i had no idea!
IMG_3632a.jpg

ora red planet getting some color
IMG_3639a.jpg

Last edited:
LFS slimer
IMG_3642a.jpg

DR. mac frag#2 slowly doing somthing!!!
IMG_3648a.jpg

DR. mac frag#3 this is finally getting some color
IMG_3653a.jpg

LFS blue tort
IMG_3655a.jpg

this is a pic of petsolutions wysiwyg 13.99$ frag when i bought it!
401522P2a.jpg

here it is, 3 months later in my tank starting a nice pastel blue tipped table!
IMG_3662a.jpg

Last edited:
Back