I need help with temporary lighting

sjj80

Hater of Hair Algae
I currently have two awesome MHs that my apt.s old electrical cannot handle :( my landlord will likely never upgrade either. I plan on buying a home in a couple yrs where I will build my dream tank :) I'm thinking of buying a 2x54w tek t5 with ATI bulbs to use for the next couple years then will use as supplement to MHs when I build my dream tank :) I would like to keep a few softies, zoos, shrooms and a bta, will the tek t5 x2 be enough for those? My tank is a 90g and is 24" tall, I have no issue placing softies up top. Thanks :)

Those lights should be more then enough. You do not need MH for softies. The anemone will seek the stronger light area closer to the surface.

Ok thanks. The MHs are for the sps/mixed reef down the road, just doing softies since It's my only reef option right now.

If you have the cash you might look at some of the LED units. They run very low wattage so you should be good there. I recently debated on LED's or halides and went with halides. My reasoning was just because there are some unknowns with LED's so I went the safer route for now. I can definitely see myself going to LED's in the future though.

You might consider 2 two bulb units and in your dream system could put actinics or blue bulbs on either side of the MH. And in the meantime you'll have plenty of light. A single 2 bulb unit might be kind of weak for a 90g tank. Maybe not, but I'd do 2 units.

I would run A Aquable Blue Special and A Aqua Blue plus It will give A little of more blue coler or A Aqua Blue special and A Purple plus. This will also help some of the colers in zoes pop.

Awe man, I wish I got this msg before I ordered, I got an aquablue special and a true actinic, I hope it looks good.....

Back