I Need Some Advise

C Dog

I am looking at buy a used drilled rimless tank. It is 71"L x 31"W x 24"T with 1/2" thick glass. The guy has never had water in it and used it as a snake tank. I am wanting to know if the 1/2" thick glass would be strong enough for the LxWxT of the tank. Thanks

No completely rimless I found a few online glass thickness calculators and are saying 1/2" is plenty but just wanna see what you guys says.

Hmm, mine is a reefsavvy 1/2" rimless 60x24x21 and built just beyond the recommended limits on the FAQ page reef savvy FAQ

Might want to have it eurobraced, but I'm no expert...

The only rimless tanks I've seen of a similar size (72" x 24" x24") were using 3/4" glass. I would think at 31" there would be even more stress on the sides.

So if I do decide to brace it which would be better? A small 8-10" glass center brace ( which I don't really want) or do triangle piece of glass on each corner?

So, if you have about 230 gal. of SW @ 8.55lbs./gallon you will have about 2,000 pounds of water in your tank. The addition of substrate and rock will take up some of the volume, but will add to the overall weight.

I know I wouldn't chance it.

Back