I need URGENT help, opinions, advices on tank overflowing!!!

Infiniti

PLEASE HELP!!!! for the second time my skimmer overflowed. the first time wasn't as bad. but this time it's pretty bad. about 5 gallons or more of water inside the stand and around the wood floors. i am concerned about the water damage inside the stand. it is a manufactured stand from aqueon. the tank is aqueon 120 gallon with sump inside the stand.
i dried as much as i could withth towels and rags. i noticed the wood of the bottom of the stand where the sump is on has started to chip away. there is still water underneath the sump where i can not get to with a towel unless i remove the sump. i am using a fan to blow it dry.
i need to know if the stand will be okay holding the tank. what should i do??? i have 2 little kids playing in that room.

Hello. First, I would resolve the overflow issue. Then I would plan on taking down the tank and give the stand a once-over inspection and repair any damage if possible.

Stands made from particle or compressed wood does not hold up to well when it gets wet. In you case it sounds like the wood has swelled to the point of flaking apart.
If the stand is beyond repair or questionable, you could construct a new stand.

Also make sure the area around your tank is dry to avoid any mold issues.

Hello. First, I would resolve the overflow issue. Then I would plan on taking down the tank and give the stand a once-over inspection and repair any damage if possible.

Stands made from particle or compressed wood does not hold up to well when it gets wet. In you case it sounds like the wood has swelled to the point of flaking apart.
If the stand is beyond repair or questionable, you could construct a new stand.

Also make sure the area around your tank is dry to avoid any mold issues.

I agree 100% with the above.

I would also recommend that you get a controller, even if it is just a DA RKL or the equivalent Neptune product. You can then add a float switch to your skimmer cup, and if your skimmer overflows, it fills the collection cup, raises the float switch, and turns off your skimmer/recirc pump.

Back