I notice alot of people selling or parting out their setups? Whats up?

dlee300z

Wannabe Reefer
I've been browsing Craigslist and have noticed quite a few more then normal postings on people selling their setups.

I wish I could have had this much selection when I first started instead of spending over 2G's on my setup LOL.

What's up? People getting into other hobbies?

A lot of people are great out of the gate, but not much on stamina.

They get in quick and move on just as quickly.

Last edited:
Just think. Peopel spend a lot of money setting up their first tank. They get excited, the tank doesn't work out so they upgrade thinking it was the lack of equipment, space, whatever it may be. Then they find out the lack of success is actually the reefer. Water changes get put off from every two week to once a month to evry six weeks. Then some other problem happens like hair algae or cyano and people realized the hundreds of dollars they've wasted. The next thing is a FS thread that is linked to craigslist that gets shut down becuase people don't read the rules.
The other people read the rules and then start to question the rules and then some people get so turned off by the complaining that they partake less and less making it easier for the idea to leave the hobby come to mind.
Lately, MARS has been about For Sale threads, off topic threads, complaining or threads on who has what. I don't know about how others feel, but I think it is pathetic to complain in a free public forum.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12200390#post12200390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9
Lately, MARS has been about For Sale threads, off topic threads, complaining or threads on who has what. I don't know about how others feel, but I think it is pathetic to complain in a free public forum.

Hmm

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12200390#post12200390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Marko9

I know Pete "Black kettle" ;) Food for thought, when is the last time you have seen a decent reef discussion here or even a picture thread of local tanks where people actually join in :p

Time/Money are big reasons why.

I don't see why it bothers people if this forum is being used as a way to sell/buy reef related things. I mean it's only a HUGE part of the hobby...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12200080#post12200080 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dlee300z
tell me about it. Even w/ the AC turned off, it's averaging $120 a month.

I wish my bill was 120.

Everything has gotten really expensive lately. Especially gas and food. I think people are just getting their prioities in order.

Mark,

thats pretty bad. how many reef discussion have you started or tried to get involved in?

I have seen about 50 threads of "Does anyone have a" Pump,gutterguard etc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201130#post12201130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kdblove_99
Mark,

thats pretty bad. how many reef discussion have you started or tried to get involved in?

I have seen about 50 threads of "Does anyone have a" Pump,gutterguard etc

Every time there is a reef discussion, I chime in. That is why we see a lot on the other forums. I admitted my own faults, but seriously, can you remember a decent thread? I have seen the front page of mars have last posts from three different days. I hate posting threads like that, but its sure a lot better than "reference craigslist" or "we're sorry".

Davey- I understand this is an online reefing forum and community, but if you can honestly say, as you are on the boards just as much as I am, that the direction in this forum is great, then so be it. Maybe I should keep my opinions to myself and not contribute.

And also, to those people that I gave the free gutter guard to, I apologize to you, the club and the RC server space that I took up since I used this forum as a resource to help aid in my new build. I also apologize to the people who may of got an idea from my postings as it does not contribute to the reefing hobby. At most of all, I would like to apologize to the little chromis that was lost, but as Pete said it best, "its just a chromis".

I didn't care that you asked people for items/help. That is what i thought Mars was for?

I have been here just over 2 yrs Mark and i cannot remember any of these threads that were all about Reef Discussion. When i started there was nothing but Drama and i mean Drama i still don't know what happened or why but that all of the Mars bod/Pres/VP pretty much all stepped down.

I think its great when people help out and use the board for it. Things like Gutterguard even:)

As i just briefly went over the 1st page i see a thread by Doug/Dots for people showing there Tanks. A Stomatopod thread where someone posted like 500 times in:) but it was and is people buying and showing off there mantis and talking about them.

A thank you thread. like 3 FS threads an Idiot trying to buy a Rio 1700.

Its too bad Mars didnt have a sub forum that you could put FS, WTB and WTT threads in!

I mean just 1 subforum for those 3 items the FS etc

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201448#post12201448 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kdblove_99

Its too bad Mars didnt have a sub forum that you could put FS, WTB and WTT threads in!

I mean just 1 subforum for those 3 items the FS etc

I agree Davey, it would be nice , but like you said, that is what this forum is for. An online resource to aid in the reefing community.

So, did you gutter guard your over flow yet? I once got a pyrimid snail stuck in my durso pointed end down, I think you can imagine the rest :lol:
o009.jpg

BTW ;)

It seems we get bored with ourselves about every three months, forget the time before, and the time before that the discussion had to be hosed down by the Mods as if we were a bunch of dogs humping in the front yard.

And rightly so, remember that this is someones front yard and EVERY SINGLE POST get placed right on top of the "recent posts" list of RC, where a great many of the Reefing community spend surfing through the RC site. This is not OUR forum, MARS does not own, manage, nor dictate what happens here. IT IS PRIVATE PROPERTY, that we are so graciously squatting on at the will of the landlords, so be respectfull.

If you are so concerned with fixing something, start in your own backyard and avoid embarrassing situations that you can not, nor should not be about.

I honestly don't get it, you guys do understand what Mark is speaking of right? You are looking at the bigger picture right?

There are a lot of people who spend a lot of time on the site and forum, Mark and I are one of them in addition to many others of you who participate daily........long story short, this place becomes a ghost town without stimulating conversation that draws in interested reefers, and turns into a detour to better things.

These "better things" and "destination location" is what I had in mind when "growing the club", I want to make the MARS forum a destination, not a place to be used and abused......loved one day and spit on the next.

Show yourself all a little club pride and respect for a place that you obviously enjoy being........and put a sock in it already, before you embarass me and the silent majority even more.

I can not begin to explain how frustrating it is to have this happen all the time in which any growth is constantly brought back down to mediocrity. What is it, have your perfected everything and are now bored? What, does misery love company?........Really I don't get it at all.

No need to respond as I will not reply, there is no point in being a hypocrite, only adding fuel to the fire, but I can not stand by idle and watch......I will come back when you guys are talking reef again, but just can not stand by and watch dogs humping anymore. (not the above posts/individuals/thread per se, this could be considered the ultimate hijack I suppose)

Last edited:
Doug,

I do understand what Mark is saying and what you are saying. But, Like i said i have been here for 2 yrs now on this forum and i have yet to see all these reefing threads. So i dont understand where you guys think this has ever been a forum just mainly or a lot of reef talk?

Also not just the drama with the mars bod but also i remember there was a thread back then about way too many FS threads, people even then were saying there are nothing but FS threads, If i had a search i would find it and the date. I think Justin started the thread!

I'm not trying to start anything so don't take any of this wrong, Please!

I agree the thread the other day was unfortunate

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12201623#post12201623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kdblove_99

Also not just the drama with the mars bod but also i remember there was a thread back then about way too many FS threads, people even then were saying there are nothing but FS threads, If i had a search i would find it and the date. I think Justin started the thread!

I'm not trying to start anything so don't take any of this wrong, Please!

I agree the thread the other day was unfortunate

Davey, we all our on the same page here as we are all trying to better this local forum. Like you said, it was pointed out months back, that most of the threads are for sale threads. There is nothing wrong with that.

I just wish there was more local "progress or Show and tell" threads. Every month, Tim posts his reef for us to admire and learn from. I used to do the same, but then I got started in my planning for the upgrade. The last 6 months have been all upgrade stuff. Maybe in 2-3 months, I will be able to show the fruits of my labor.

Diversity is a good thing as long as it in within eyesight of the rules. :)

Sorry for highjacking the topic. Sometimes, I just type when reefing is on the brain. :)

Ok, Cool. I was hoping what i said wasnt taken wrong or rude. I Never try and belittle anyone. Even though i do get into some heated threads sometimes:(

I agree about threads like Tims every month. But sometimes his threads are hurtful to me,. I look at all those huge colonies and all that PE and all those colors and I say How/Why. Then i go and cry for awhile:) He has one of the few tanks i really want to see.

Yours once it gets back to what it was and can be. Jim had nothing but great things to say about your tank when i was helping him mess up his canopy:)

I guess i need to participate in more reefing threads and i am guilty of WTB/FS threads and getting into threads i wish i hadn't.

Sorry, just to clarify and make myself a liar for posting as I am a moth to the flame........

My frustration is not directed towards you, please make that certain. In fact, you are part of that daily contributing core group I was eluding to and am happy to see your ideas and opinions.

My frustration is to anyone who allows it to happen and grow, namely all of us, hence begrudingly bringing the topic up which I so deeply want to avioid.

I was very happy when everyone was on the same page and stamped out problems before they occured, it created a comradry and cohesive strength that created a very positive attitude.

I would be no better example by lashing out at you individually for a group problem, and never feel that is the correct mode of resolution for anyone to pursue.

On a parting note, what I found the most dumbfounding about the topic of searching is that everyone does have the ability to do so and is easily found on the RC home page.

http://www.reefcentral.com/search.php?s=&menu=11

:(

Last edited:
Back