I think I got lucky

FraggledRock

So last night was a typical night. Fed the tank. Kept an eagle eye out for pests and sat wondering what to do to get rid of the soon to be cyanobacteria problem as it was advancing in size on my aragonite substrate.

I hadn't tried much to be honest since i believe that disturbing it would send pieces everywhere and cause a possible bloom. I slso started feeding less. Not much more in terms of getting offensive with it.

I researched and realized nothing out there really has an appetite for the stuff. Or is there?

It seems the hero cloaked in darkness, like any superhero wishes his identity to remain anonymous.

Any and all signs of the big red gooey patches of cyano are gone!! As though it never laid foot in my tank! Im talking in less than 3 hours!

What could this creature be?

I didnt change anything. No new CUC.

I did sight a half inch amphipod last night! But doubt an amphipod has an appetite for cyano?

Do nessarius snails eat cyano?

I have a bit of a cyano problem right now, it's always gone in the morning after the lights have been off for the night, but re-appears a few hours after lights on.
Are you sure it won't just re-appear?
Nessarius snails are meat eaters.

I have a bit of a cyano problem right now, it's always gone in the morning after the lights have been off for the night, but re-appears a few hours after lights on.
Are you sure it won't just re-appear?
Nessarius snails are meat eaters.

I dont know. This is my first experience with "dissppearing cyano". It's my first reef tank so i have no idea lol

You've got a new tank, it's just one of the algae cycles they go through. Maybe you got lucky and yours was short. I'm going through one at the moment in my new tank. My plans are just business as usual. It'll go away. As Mark 9 said, it fades at night, and comes back by day.

You've got a new tank, it's just one of the algae cycles they go through. Maybe you got lucky and yours was short. I'm going through one at the moment in my new tank. My plans are just business as usual. It'll go away. As Mark 9 said, it fades at night, and comes back by day.

Yea I dont fuss over these things either, I let them run their course.

I am happy seeing diatoms and algae blooms(which I never really got more than some green tinting on my LR, which could just be corralline) and cyano(which til last night was just little red patches here and there., it shows me there is some progress! =P

Ahhhh I only quickly took a peek during lights on time and didnt see any maroon/red.

So i figured something munched on it.

I am hoping it stays gone or keep spading, but i couldn't stick around long enough to really see if it was going to reappear. Work and all LOL

'I guess I will do shorter daylight times to help remedy the situation. i do keep my lights on a long while sometimes.

Ok, just don't be too drastic, Cyano doesn't really hurt anything but asthetics. Keep up on your maintenance and have a good skimmer, it'll go away.

Ok, just don't be too drastic, Cyano doesn't really hurt anything but asthetics. Keep up on your maintenance and have a good skimmer, it'll go away.

Yea thats why i never really tried doing anything about it LOL

it actually doesn't both me too much.

My tank is lacking in red, so this filled the void in that color spectrum for me HAHA

plus they keep nitrates and phosphates down! AHA

I don't have many corals 3 small zoa frags so I don't have much ti worry about yet.

and this only happened a few weeks ago when i had to use tap water. but the more water changes i do, i see it greatly impacted the cyanos ability to thrive.

Back