I think I need some help, maybe a free fish here

hexedagain

I was at my lfs, and the wife spotted the cutest little Angelfish.
Well the person there tells me, it's a pygmy, and won't get more than 3 maybe 4 inches tops. And yes it is reef safe.
Now understand, I do know I should have researched this fish first, but I was overruled. If you know what I mean.
I get home type in a google search on this "Black Angelfish".
WOW. Not a pygmy, and way not reef safe. Also said this fish could get over a foot in size. WOW, not in my tank.
I will give someone this fish if they want it. It is the size of a quarter, very small.
I do ask, can I let this guy swim in my zoa dominated tank? Only for overnight, maybe a day tops.
Or would I be asking for it?
I have it still floating, and do not want to kill it.
If someone live close enough, I am in Winter Haven, you can get him tonight. I might even drive a short distance to meet you.
Someone please help me and this poor mis labled fish. I do not want to see it die for my mistake, and a bad, unknowing sales clerck.
I will try and get a pic of it. The fish is around quarter size, and very bright with color.

take a plastic container and drill some holes in and put the fish in it and in the tank for over night. Then tomorrow take it back to the store. im sure they will take him back.

If not I would definitely take it back as that's the only one I know of and yes the rest will eat your corals and grow big. Btw, an excellent reference site is the one I posted above, even if a lot of it is in German, there is enough in English to get through. Marcye

It's not that one.
Here's a couple of bad pics. Sorry, it's through the bag also.

101_0333.jpg

101_0335.jpg

don't put him in a drilled container, i did that to a damsel i was going to take the LFS then he died, it was only overnight too.

That store has a strict no return policy on saltwater fish, even if they are still alive. Now they would take it back, but wouldn't give a refund, or even a store credit. With saying that, I would much rather give it to a fellow reefer, that can care for it.
I normally only buy certain dry goods from them. Only because they are kind of close to home.

Wow, definitely NOT reef safe. Well, if you get stuck I can put him up for adoption for you...I've had very good luck with that, although I hope someone steps up to take him asap. Good luck. Marcye

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9227394#post9227394 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Me No Nemo
Wow, definitely NOT reef safe. Well, if you get stuck I can put him up for adoption for you...I've had very good luck with that, although I hope someone steps up to take him asap. Good luck. Marcye

Is there any chance it will make it in the bag until tomorrow afternoon? That would be the soonest I could get up that way?

i have a 10 gal setup that you could use for tonight if you would like to - i live in deltona - you could borrow it for however long - if you want you could even drop him off here and i got a different 10 up and running that i could put him in till you figure out what you want to do with him - hopefully someone closer to you wants to make the drive and they want to keep him - its a good looking fish

Very nice offer lifesworkataol. If lifes offer isn't viable, you could drip acclimate him in the bag, then rebag it with lots of fresh air, then redo it again in the morning. Other alternatives are: a hang on fish breeder tank if you have one or make something large with lots of large holes that you can place in your tank and that would allow water flow until tomorrow. I'd probably go with the container submerged in the tank with a small rock for him to hide behind to eleviate stress. Other alternative is a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and small heater. Drip acclimate him to the tank water and then fill the bucket half way with the tank water. Wish I was closer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9227691#post9227691 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Me No Nemo
Very nice offer lifesworkataol. If lifes offer isn't viable, you could drip acclimate him in the bag, then rebag it with lots of fresh air, then redo it again in the morning. Other alternatives are: a hang on fish breeder tank if you have one or make something large with lots of large holes that you can place in your tank and that would allow water flow until tomorrow. I'd probably go with the container submerged in the tank with a small rock for him to hide behind to eleviate stress. Other alternative is a 5 gallon bucket with an airstone and small heater. Drip acclimate him to the tank water and then fill the bucket half way with the tank water. Wish I was closer.

Very nice offer indead lifesworkataol, but you are just a bit too far to drive this late. Thank you very much for the offer.
Thanks Marcye, I think I will do the bucket until morning.
I also wish you were closer, that way this mistake wouldn't have happened. :D ;)

Well, what I meant was I could come and get her and take her to the store for you, but I am at least an hour and a half from you so that won't help...I'm sure you need some sleep tonight! The bucket should work fine...just make sure it is well oxygenated and heated. Night.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9228096#post9228096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
This is why I always do my own research and take lfs' employees' advice with a LARGE grain of salt...

I always research everything before I buy it, just for this reason.
Too bad the wife can only understand that she likes it and that's enough. LOL. She always likes stuff my reef tank doesn't like.
I new I should have waited and researched it being an angel, but like I said, I was overruled. Last time that happens with a fish.

I agree whole heartedly. I bet if you went in there and spoke with the manager they would take him back, definitly if you inform him that one of his employees gave you misinformation. And if they don't i would give strong consideration on going back to a place like that. I work at a petshop and if one of my managers heard about that he would give store credit and MANY appologizes.

Can anyone identify this fish as Pomacanthus paru or Pomacanthus arcuatus? I guess it really doesn't matter, but for personal knowledge.

I think you should let the owner/manager know what happened and let him know you are going to let your fellow reefers on RC know how they treated you.

Back