I think my tank is cycled - time to adda a critter?

JingoFresh

My tank is now at the point where I can add ammonia up to 4ppm, and 12 hours later ammonia and nitrites are zero. That's the dream, right?

I have not bought a protein skimmer yet as I have been traveling a lot for work and they tend to be expensive, so I want to do my research.

At the moment my only filters are a foam in the overflow to the sump and a filter sock.

I would like to know if this is sufficient just to add a hermit crab or two.

Since you didn't give us your parameters. I don't know. If your at 0 ammonia and nitrites then you can add them.

Since you didn't give us your parameters. I don't know. If your at 0 ammonia and nitrites then you can add them.

Well yeah...it's zero unless I add them. Going to do a water change to get nitrates down, maybe add some plants.

Mainly wanted to know if I could add hermit crabs and a bristle star with the current filtration I have

What are nitrates now & what size tank? & what 'plants' are you thinking of adding? Yes, it's good now to add CUC & do a water change to drop nitrates...& clean filter socks every few days. A rinse cycle, then put them in w/ bleach cycle is good, then another rinse cycle...

Got nitrates down to 5 with water changes.

Not sure why you put plants in quotes...I haven't picked any plants yet or researched what I should have, I had just read they are good at removing nitrates....

What is CUC?

What do you mean a bleach cycle and rinse cycle? I'm planning to just drop the crabs and star into my tank....

Ahh, thanks.

The crabs will certainly work in that capacity eventually, but for the moment they are basically a test to make sure my tank can sustain life.

Got nitrates down to 5 with water changes.

Not sure why you put plants in quotes...I haven't picked any plants yet or researched what I should have, I had just read they are good at removing nitrates....

What is CUC?

What do you mean a bleach cycle and rinse cycle? I'm planning to just drop the crabs and star into my tank....

I think plants was in quotes because I think you are really talking about macroalgae (chaeto, caulerpa, ulva, etc) correct?

The bleach/rinse cycle is in reference to cleaning the filter socks, they need to be cleaned fairly regularly or can become nitrate factories themselves.

I wasn't sure what type plants you were asking about; or if you were confusing freshwater plants w/ corals. Do you mean mangrove plants or algae in refugium to help w/ nitrates?

To clean filter socks in washing machine, run empty machine on rinse cycle to get rid of detergent from previous washes. Then put filter socks in & run a regular cycle just w/ water & regular bleach (no perfumy stuff). Then do another rinse cycle to get all bleach out of filter socks. Let them air dry & they'll be spotless & good to go back in sump. If you don't have washing machine, use a water house outside & spray off all debris & gunk. Needs to be done about every 3 days. Good luck!

Last edited:
Ahh, thanks Swampy, I hope I didn't come off as rude, was just confused.

I don't know which plants I meant as I have not looked into it at all. I just meant green kind of tall plants...not sure what type they are.

I can't do the washing machine cleaning trick...living in NYC they tend not to be so common in apartments. Am planning to just rinse it with RO/DI water....

No worries, I didn't get that vibe...Yea, you're probly thinking mangroves...Google them to make sure. They are supposed to be good nitrate exporters. Rinsing the crud off filter socks in the sink every few days should be fine.

Back