I think this isn't right

TheKman

So I went to a new fish store I have never been to and I noticed there was a 100 gallon tank and saw this very large fish in such a small tank :/.
6027b5bd-f375-6672.jpg
6027b5bd-f380-0c25.jpg

:( that kind of stuff makes me sad. At one of the LFS near me, they kept a huge lionfish in a 55 gallon! They had it until it died there. They said they didn't know ehy it died, it was eating feeder goldfish just fine... I don't shop there ever, just stop by to see what they are doing wrong.

If you buy the fish. They will only do so again. If the fish dies (i know sad), and don't make any money, maybe they won't continue the same behaviour.

Sometimes, too, they order a fish and are shocked, themselves, at what comes in.
If you COULD buy and donate that fish to a city aquarium (ask the aquarium people: generally they won't/can't accept) and could set it up, that store might cut you a deal. That's a tragedy going to happen.

Well i'm going to talk with the marine biology college campus here where i live, I know they maintain a HUGE reef tank - so maybe they will take him and put him in there.. Just sucks seeing this beautiful fish only able to swim back and forth 24/7 :/

That is very sad. Have you thought about saying something to them? You could call so you are anonymous. There is a Chinese restaurant in my town & they have a large fish tank with a lot of big fish and for some reason when I went in there (I RARELY do) they only had it a little over half full! So I made my sister call (b/c I'm too much of a chicken) and "bring it to their attention kindly" and ask them to fill the tank. The gal who answered acted like she knew and that they should have filled it already. She said she would take care of it right away. She did. My sister went back in and checked.

{ If you buy the fish. They will only do so again. If the fish dies (i know sad), and don't make any money, maybe they won't continue the same behaviour. }

I have to agree -it's like the Petco thing. You buy to try and save -they make $$ -wow great idea lets get more

I'm sure everyone here is aware of this, but a lot of lfs's will take back fish that customers bring in. This fish might have outgrown a tank, heck it's owner might have died for all we know.
Not saying lfs's don't overstock because they do, but without the op having talked to the workers there we have no idea what the situation is.

I'm sure everyone here is aware of this, but a lot of lfs's will take back fish that customers bring in. This fish might have outgrown a tank, heck it's owner might have died for all we know.
Not saying lfs's don't overstock because they do, but without the op having talked to the workers there we have no idea what the situation is.

It's nice to see that there are still folks who have faith in their LFS....

To all you who bash them, feel free to go to your "online" supplier and see the conditions in their tanks, just because you can't see in their doors, doesn't mean that this stuff doesn't go on.

Perhaps that fish was ordered for someone with a much larger tank, and it's only in the store for a short time.

Perhaps the store ordered what they thought was a medium fish, and got a XL fish instead, that stuff happens all the time.

Perhaps that fish was brought in by a local hobbyist...

There are many reasons why they could have a huge fish in a 100G tank, just be glad it wasn't in a 20L.

At any rate, if a LFS adhered to the Reef Central Guidelines of what tank should house what fish, these LFS's would have 50,000 Gal of water and be the size of Walmart.

For a LFS I don't think it is that bad. At least it can swim and turn around, and I highly doubt they are keeping it long term.
IME it was either a surprise that came in a shipment, or somebody showed up and said, "I don't want this"..

LFS are fish hotel, fish check in and fish check out. no one stays at the hotel for ever. LFS are in it for the money. they dont setup tanks for holding and showing fish they stock it for selling. So i am with chris27 and few others on this one, its in there for a reason and not for show.

I would definitely call your local aquarium and ask. I work at the one in Cleveland and we take a ton of donations from freshwater turtles and big goldfish to tangs and even remoras.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what that is? o_O Sort of looks like a spadefish. Sort of. Haha

Back