I want my Coralline!

JR8999

I've been up and running with a 56g tower for about 3 months now with 10lbs LR and 50lbs base. Currently just 2 cleaner shrimp and some snails. 2 OC clowns in the QT.

I get so jealous when I see the incredible pics of your established tanks. The carpet of the purple Coralline algae always catches my eye. One of the pieces of LR has a few red spots on it and I'm assuming its Coralline. How long does it take to get to that point where all the LR is covered in purple? Any way to accelerate that?

m0nkie

keep your parameters stable and introduce the coralline. It will come

3 month is very short. Try a year

scott3569

I have the same exact tank, has not been running quite as long as yours, I would love corriline also, unfortinately we have to wait...the good news though is if we have done it right..it will come!! just takes time..it is a sign of a mature tank..niether your nor mine is even close

Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef at ur service
RC Sponsor
3 months is too early. if parameters are kept in acceptable range and more important stable in that range along with strong lights you should start seeing good growth within 6 months or so. (many variables involved)
Also you can buy a piece or LR with a lot of coraline and place it right in front of power head and scrape a little every now and then, you will see good results.

JR8999

Thanks M0nkie. A year gives me some perspective. What's the best way to introduce it to the DT? Just with LR that already has it?

JR8999

Scott3569 - there are a few of us out here that post regularly with the same tank. Some have started in the last few months also.

Btw....how do you guys get that footer info to show up with every post? Been searching trying to figure it out. I'm assuming its something to do with my profile?

JR8999

Yeah I have to start paying attention to other testing besides the big 3 (Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates)

Rognin

Keep your alk up between 9 and 10. Check your calc levels as coraline can consume it also.

Rest is just time and patience.

Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef at ur service
RC Sponsor
best and cheapest way to introduce coralline is by buying a small piece of rock with coralline in good number on it. or there was a company that used to sell coralline plates for $20 some dollars but best is cheap and easy.

Donkeykong

Also don't fall for any of the magic in a bottle Purple UP stuff. What I like to do is look at the LFS live rock tanks and see if I can find a small piece with good koraline colors already established. Then put that little piece into your tank and it will help seed the tank, but unfortunately the biggest thing you need is time.

MinnFish

Why the raze about getting coralline? What's the benefits? 1 thing is builds strong muscles to clean? LOL.

m0nkie

^ you seem to be really against coralline in every thread. Do you not like that purple rock look? I'm curious to how you keep your live rocks. white??

seems like it's the "normal" thing to do. I don't know any other alternatives to have on the live rocks beside coralline. unless someone is into green algae..

reepher315

Humble Student
I scraped off some of my coralline off my initial LR and let it settle in the tank. Kept up for a while. Im bout 8 months in and got plenty now. Also idk if this is the timming or the new lighting but once I got LEDs on my tank the purple went crazy.

Donkeykong

Once your tank establishes and starts to grow coralline fast, you will start to get tired of scraping it off the glass, that is why some people who have been around a while are over having coralline.

cloak

As long as you stay ahead of it, there's really no need to "scrape" it off the glass.

My back glass is covered, (sweet) but the other panels are crystal clear. A Mag-Float can do wonders sometimes...