I will be away from my tank for 15 days...

cyberwollf

I hope I have enough water in the ATO... I am afraid of doing it direct from the pipes with float valves, so we'll see if this work while i am gone. This is the DIY ATO http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1529533

PC180017.jpg

I would test for the 15day period before you leave (if possible). Covers on the Top Off containers will slow evap from them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13973167#post13973167 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by plyr58
Do you have anyone that could go over every couple of days and check on things?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I bet he considered that...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13973159#post13973159 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Indymann99
I would test for the 15day period before you leave (if possible). Covers on the Top Off containers will slow evap from them.

This ^

Test it for however long you can and that should help you judge on how long it will last.

Will you be using an Auto feeder?

Also don't forget about the skimmer overflowing!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13973253#post13973253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kmf507
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I bet he considered that...

Well there is a difference between someone taking care of your tank and having someone come into the house and see if a bucket is empty is all I am saying. I wouldn't trust a lot of people to put anything in my tank but I would trust their eyesight.

Last edited:
I leave tomorrow..... haven't been in the area long, so noone close that i trust to come by. I think it will keep up with evap..... I hope...

good luck!!! I have been away from mine for 8 days of 25, and I hate it. Had to pay the LFS(top notch) to come by and fill the top off bin.

We had our neighbors watch our tank for a week. They fed (I froze the correct amount in ice cube trays so they couldn't overfeed) and they checked the top off tank. I did not even have them check the temperature. I have 3 heaters, so if one fails the others should balance it till we get home.

During the week we lost power at night for 6 hours. Of course, they could do nothing - It was summer and everything seemed ok for about 3 weeks and then we suddenly lost 4 fish. I still blame that - but....one must live as well. And it only cost me a gift certificate to a restaurant as appreciation for their help.

good luck.

Make sure a responsible adult watches your tank. I left mine in charge with a neighbor who thought it would be a perfect opportunity to teach his girlfriend's son some responsibility. The 8 year old ignored all instructions and I came home to a tank with an empty sump, return pump running dry, corals looking bad, and a cat box overflowing with crap. My cat is an outdoor cat and the box was only there for emergency, so the kid never let the cat out.

I replaced the 20 gallons and luckily had no losses. Everything looked like hell for a few weeks, though.

Back