icecap vs lumatek MH ballasts

Ptt911

Assuming they are the same price, would you buy a 250w Icecap ballast or a 250w Lumatek ballast? Why?

I am not sure about Icecap as I have only used IC 660's but had the lumateks and wow. Brighter than Bluewaves, totally silent and no heat. Loved them

From what I heard, Lumatek is suppose to be pretty nice since they can increase the output to compensate as the bulbs get older. My concern is that they are relative new to this hobby.

I have used both, and have been using the Lumateks (400w) for almost a year. They are definitely brighter than others I have tried (IC, Galaxy) HOWEVER, I have had two of them go bad on me in the first year alone. The first one overheated and got so hot, the rubber feet on the bottom melted to the shelve I had them on. That one was RMA'd in June, and the replacement lasted until about 3 weeks ago. This one shorted out, blowing the breaker on that circuit (the built in breaker / reset didnt work). I had to go through the supplier I bought them from and was put in contact with Sunlight, and Sunlight Supply was very slow getting me the RMA and the return label to send it back for inspection. I got the label last Friday, shipped it out, and still have not heard a peep from them. Tomorrow will be 25 days without light on half my reef (I have been alternating the one good remaining ballast from side to side each day). I expressed concern about going that long without light, and the vendor I used said I had to buy another one if I wanted something done quickly, or wait until Sunlight took care of me.

Overall, I like the ballasts, but I will not be buying from this vendor or supplier any more in the future. Stick with Icecap. Their products are more dependable, and their service considerably better.

T

This is exactly what I'm worried about. Even though Lumantek has 3 yrs full replacement + 2 yr pro-rated, but if they take months to replace then that's not good. Everybody already know Icecap customer service is good.

I have used both, and have been using the Lumateks (400w) for almost a year. They are definitely brighter than others I have tried (IC, Galaxy) HOWEVER, I have had two of them go bad on me in the first year alone. The first one overheated and got so hot, the rubber feet on the bottom melted to the shelve I had them on. That one was RMA'd in June, and the replacement lasted until about 3 weeks ago. This one shorted out, blowing the breaker on that circuit (the built in breaker / reset didnt work). I had to go through the supplier I bought them from and was put in contact with Sunlight, and Sunlight Supply was very slow getting me the RMA and the return label to send it back for inspection. I got the label last Friday, shipped it out, and still have not heard a peep from them. Tomorrow will be 25 days without light on half my reef (I have been alternating the one good remaining ballast from side to side each day). I expressed concern about going that long without light, and the vendor I used said I had to buy another one if I wanted something done quickly, or wait until Sunlight took care of me.

Overall, I like the ballasts, but I will not be buying from this vendor or supplier any more in the future. Stick with Icecap. Their products are more dependable, and their service considerably better.

T

Wow, that sucks. I had the exact opposite experience returning a 400w galaxy with SLS. Got in touch with the RMA girl here in Cali, told her it was for my reeftank & could have no overlap in lighting. She shipped out a new one & received it before I sent back the defective one. Great service & trust, since I had 2 ballast in my hands, just sayin'.

T

Probably different service at each location. I know they have like 5 facilities. I am dealing with the one in Nashville. Bottom line, is we both had problems with the ballasts from them, although with drastically different service.

I guess it's a roll of the dice. 2 bad ballasts in one year is 2 too many in my opinion, I have had the same 3 Icecap ballasts for years. One of them, a 660 VHO ballast, is over 13 years old.

Back