ID Help

Dustin07

I can't for the life of me remember the name of this one, it's beautiful though.
Once I started dosing with magnesium however, it grew like crazy and tripled in size in about 2 weeks. I went on a trip for a week and when I came home it had migrated over the top of a zoa colony wiping out about a 2" diameter. so I'm likely going to remove this from my home tank and either get rid of it or move it to my office where I can separate it from my zoas better.

1673386310919.jpeg

right, thank you! The zoas are quickly disappearing. that frag was a zoa colony, I came home and the Xenia had moved there from a nearby rock and multiplied like crazy

So... can you guys tell me anything about pruning Xenia properly? i'll need to get better coral cutting snips I think. If I get it right at the base does it survive propagation well if I glue it to a new frag?

this thing started on a frag about .75" in diameter and is now far past consuming one that is over 1.5" in diameter plus little sprouts that have popped up elsewhere on the rock.

Xenia I’m my experience survives propagation quite well. My experience is rock removal or epoxy over it

So... can you guys tell me anything about pruning Xenia properly? i'll need to get better coral cutting snips I think. If I get it right at the base does it survive propagation well if I glue it to a new frag?

this thing started on a frag about .75" in diameter and is now far past consuming one that is over 1.5" in diameter plus little sprouts that have popped up elsewhere on the rock.

Xenia can be (is very) invasive, so plan accordingly. Place it where you can control the growth.

I appreciate the help here!
Xenia can be (is very) invasive, so plan accordingly. Place it where you can control the growth.

I think this is my opportunity to learn some propagation skills then. I'll try to get some good frag cutters this weekend and I'll move a chunk of this to my nano tank in my office. I set that tank up with a large rock on one side and a small rock on the other side 4-6" away. I'll see if I can get the xenia to consume the smaller rock without spreading and if it does I'll just cut it out as it over expands. I've worked so hard to get my corals healthy and happy that it pains me a little to have to prune one back as it's finally doing what I wanted my ZOAs to do.

BUT that Zoa colony my xenia overtook was finally multiplying as well and now their 80% wiped out by the xenia expansion. The only reason it doesn't really bother me is they were very boring Zoas in comparison to my other colonies but many they looked healthy!

Pulsating Xenia. I removed it from my tank because it started to spread all over the tank :). But it looks cool. I wish it would not drop babies and it would stay in one spot where you place it.

I've moved a chunk of the xenia to my office nano tank as a test. It's pulsing but not opening up entirely so this is going to tell me a lot. especially seeing as how I have a redsea 50w on my home tank and Hygger on my desktop nano at work. I'm curious to see how the xenia responds to the cheapo light.

as far as my home xenia goes, I have it consolidated to a particular rock that I'm OK with it overtaking entirely. any of it that tries to reach past that will just be pruned back now. thanks for the feedback !

It's possible my transplanted xenia is in shock but it is not opening up as well as the stuff I moved around in my home tank. My parameter are all very good, my current assumption is that the cheapo lighting is not good enough. It was an experiment and I think I'm getting my answer.
That said, my transplanted zoas are actually opening up. My luck is usually the opposite where zoas open up last for me, sometimes after 2 weeks when transplanted but my other corals usually take to my new tank right away.

I'd give it a little more time and keep the params in check. Given it's a nano, temp fluctuation can also be a factor. Worse case is that it is a nano and lighting is cheap in comparison to larger tanks.

I'm thinking you're right but at this point I dont' want to spend $300 on a new redsea for this free tank in my office. I will watch the classifieds though... I'll watch it and see what happens...

Don't wish too hard for it to do well.
Pulsating fields of xenia mesmerizing and amazing until the nausea knowing that it is taking over the tank sets in!

@JohnL hit the nail on the head. Placing rock rubble in top of xenia, palys or zoas that are misbehaving is the perfect way to get them onto something for export and off of your rock! If only leathers were that easy. They are more like Gum Gum for the Dumb Dumb and are impossible to fully remove.

Definitely a catch 22 as the xenia is a beautiful coral to watch grow, and pulse, with vibrant colors in a young developing tank while everything else settles in lol.

I’ve always had good luck simply gently peeling it off the rock. This removed the Xenia and leaves no, “foot” to sprout from again. A billion years ago when I had Xenia, I used to make a fortune in store credit trading it in.

Once I realized what I had I started noticing it more at the LFS and realized how fast his was growing too. Might still be able to get some store credit at the "other" LFS we sometimes visit as their inventory is less interesting... but my main go to guy I know definitely doesn't need it lol.

Back