ID please! Amphipods? Isopods??

Red Eyed Reefer

Hey all,

I have these little see-through critters running around all over one of my live rocks, trying to figure out what they are.

I read that some isopods could be parasitic/predatory..

Here is a 20 second video of the rock, look closely in the middle, you should see them running around. Halfway through I zoom in for a closer look:

https://flic.kr/p/nqjsTY

I have nothing in there that would consume these currently as my first fish is in QT currently and only have a CUC present in the DT.

Thanks for any input!

100%hydrophylic

Wow that rock is literally crawling with life. A lot of them look like little isopods that you shouldnt worry about, but you have so many, I dont think you will be able to get an ID for everything very easily. I didnt see anything too out of the ordinary though.

Red Eyed Reefer

Wow that rock is literally crawling with life. A lot of them look like little isopods that you shouldnt worry about, but you have so many, I dont think you will be able to get an ID for everything very easily. I didnt see anything too out of the ordinary though.

Thanks! Yeah you should have seen this thing like a week ago when the sponges were taking over like crazy (grape size) lol

I just wanted to make sure none of these would be dangerous to corals/fish :thumbsup:

sarahlovesfish

Looks like isopods to me, got lots of these little guys crawling around. These are good isopods and they eat alage, and they are also great fish food.

Sugar Magnolia

Mother of Dachshunds
Staff member
RC Mod
Yep, all are a very good thing to have! They get into the nooks and crannies of the rock to keep it clean.

philosophile

great vid! Looks like munnid isopods to me mostly. I think I saw a few gammarus amphipods in there too. if they are munnids, then they are harmless.

Red Eyed Reefer

great vid! Looks like munnid isopods to me mostly. I think I saw a few gammarus amphipods in there too. if they are munnids, then they are harmless.

Thanks!

I was impressed with the quality, wasn't expecting to be able to see the little buggers with an iPhone 5 camera :bounce2: