ID please. Growing/living on brain skeleton

jimmy_beaner

So I picked up this brain that had seen some rougher days. I got a deal on it at the LFS and it's been doing much better in the two months it's been in my tank. As a result of its past, some of the skeleton is showing. I will once a week or so scrub off algae that's growing on the skeleton with a toothbrush. I haven't done that the last 2 weeks, and tonight I noticed something moving on the skeleton. Does anyone have any idea what it is? I realize the video isn't super, it was an *impossible* angle to get rid of glass distortion. It moved on its own, it seems yellow and black and was "writhing".

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/jimmy_beaner21/?action=view&current=MVI_2929.mp4

Looks like a hair worm, or cirratulid polychaete to me. They are generally nothing to worry about, but can eventually grow in population and irritate corals they land on. I've had them before and their numbers were always few enough that they were never any problem at all. If they land on a coral it is easy to blow them off and watch them float away to find a new home. It is up to you whether to keep it or get rid of it.

Buy a new plastic turkey baster, or a pipette and the next time you see it try blowing it off with the turkey baster. Conversely, you could try and catch it in the baster.
Then you can deposit it elsewhere in the tank or not in the tank if you're worried that it might irritate your already irritated brain coral. :)

The brain seems wonderful, I just don't want any problem to develop. I'd love nothing more than for it to reclaim its skeleton. But I have no idea how long that might take

Back