ID? Small stream of sand being ejects from LR

bobbychullo

Super Abound
ok here's the details:

Tank has been up for one week + a day (got lights and pumps all up at normal operating times and speeds, Real Reef rock from the LFS). I've had a small bloom of diatoms (fading quickly away) and green hair algae is starting to form (ammonia was nearly undetectable, nitrite is at .5 and nitrates were at 50 yesterday). everything looks great, ive got a couple brittle stars and feather duster hitchhikers that are active. cycle is going quick but in an orderly fashion.

this morning i notice a small amount of sand floating in the display and then I see from the back side of my live rock a small stream of fine sand being shot up into the water in spurts. It did not look to be caused by my MP40's flow. it seemed timed at about 1 sec intervals and it came out at and odd angle (like quickly and gently squeezing a turkey baster full of sand and water into your display in little bursts). it looked as if something was "squirting" it. it happened about 5 or six times in a row then stopped. I could not get a look at where exactly it came from because it was on the backside of the rock but it looks to be coming from a hole or crevice in the rock.

does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I have no pictures obviously...

i'm scared its a pistol or mantis shrimp but I have not heard any clicking yet... (knocking on HUGE amounts of wood right now lol)...

thanks in advance!

I wouldn't worry about it Could be most anything, so no need to expect the worst. I had the same thing happen in some of my live rock and it never amounted to anything. But I hear you, as it can be a little disturbing. .

ok here's the details:

Tank has been up for one week + a day (got lights and pumps all up at normal operating times and speeds, Real Reef rock from the LFS). I've had a small bloom of diatoms (fading quickly away) and green hair algae is starting to form (ammonia was nearly undetectable, nitrite is at .5 and nitrates were at 50 yesterday). everything looks great, ive got a couple brittle stars and feather duster hitchhikers that are active. cycle is going quick but in an orderly fashion.

this morning i notice a small amount of sand floating in the display and then I see from the back side of my live rock a small stream of fine sand being shot up into the water in spurts. It did not look to be caused by my MP40's flow. it seemed timed at about 1 sec intervals and it came out at and odd angle (like quickly and gently squeezing a turkey baster full of sand and water into your display in little bursts). it looked as if something was "squirting" it. it happened about 5 or six times in a row then stopped. I could not get a look at where exactly it came from because it was on the backside of the rock but it looks to be coming from a hole or crevice in the rock.

does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I have no pictures obviously...

i'm scared its a pistol or mantis shrimp but I have not heard any clicking yet... (knocking on HUGE amounts of wood right now lol)...

thanks in advance!

Don't stick your fingers back there :hammer:

It could be some sort of hitchhiker but could also be nothing. Just watch it and see if you can get a view of anything.

i Would try to check it out at night time with the lights out. Its likely a snail . Or Finger eating Sand spit monster (ok maybe not the monster) ..

i Would try to check it out at night time with the lights out. Its likely a snail . Or Finger eating Sand spit monster (ok maybe not the monster) ..

lmao!!

i will check this evening for sure, ive been trying to get a glimpse but no luck so far.

i'll keep you guys updated

(i'm not really new to the hobby but it's been a few years ahahahaha)

EDIT:

I just saw the culprit. Stomatella snail. pretty little fella about 1/2" long grazing on all my newly grown algae. Its pretty crazy, the life in the tank "woke up" yesterday and this morning... copepods, bristle worms, brittle stars and this snail :) I also had an asterina, I tried to remove it but I just ended up stabbing it :/ and it floated away, hopefully I got it. I had problems with them eating zoas in my last tank.

Last edited:
Back