ID this Macro you get big points

Boomer

Bomb Technician (EOD)
Premium Member
As of yet no one has been able to ID thais plant. I have some ideas but they just don't pan out. So all you get are the pics

If it has rhizoids, perhaps Caulerpa serrulata, but the blades are round with this alga, not elongated.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Steve

They are not Mermaids for 100% sure

Tom

Yes that is correct, my only toughts are some odd type of serrulata/cupressoides. I have also looked into Turbinaria sp a brown algae with blades this shape on some var. but I have never seen green ones and the blades are always much closer together.

I've got a decription that seems to fit, unfortunately no real pics, but there is a drawing. In Baensch Marine Atlas vol.1, he gives this description, "Caulerpa nummelaria: the small assimilator discs, which sometimes are sessile on the stolon, have a cuplike shape and frequently have an undulate rim."

I have that book too but that's not it Ozone. I thought at first it may be but go back and look again and note the blades have undulated edges (wavy) and my pics are serrated/toothed. It appears to be pointing to some species of Turbinaria but things just aren't right, the pics are to Caulerpa sp lookin' and Turbianria have much thicker blades. The rhizoidal holdfasts are also wrong. So everyone knows, these are not my macro's but images someone wants us to ID

The rhyzome structure definately looks to belong to the caulerpa family. Any idea where this algae might have originated?

Willy

I haven't heard yet, waiting for the guys reply. Here is another pic

Well it's NOT, Turbinaria. It maybe a morphological form of a Caulerpa species.
You can narrow it down to the greens in the Caulperales. From there you should be able to whittle it down and/or grow a piece out for further identification.Some of reds, smaller filamentous algae are much more difficult to ID. Greens, generally are pretty easy.
Regards,
Tom Barr

Well it's NOT, Turbinaria. It maybe a morphological form of a Caulerpa species

I never said it was Turbinaria and my remarks fall along the idea it is not that, only that it doses resemble and points to some morphs in general appearance, such as conoides, which has at least 6 different structural morphs, with 1 of them resembling the pic., but these are line drawings. I don't have the algae, as I said, someone else does, so it is impossible for me to narrow it down, taxonomically. I think it is some odd type of serrulata/cupressoides. I was looking for a new approach so never gave my ideas. When the guy was shown some pics of Turbinaria[/i] he even stated if it was not for the color they looked the same but I still disagree with that.

Willy

He does not have a clue wher it came from and his LFS guy is even clueless. But it was sold as Caulerpa xxxx

Boomer,
Here's another try or maybe just more of the same. Look at Baensch Marine Atlas p312. drawing 7 Caulerpa peltata shows a toothed edge. But I still stick with my first choice of C. nummularia.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/Caulerpa_nummularia.html[/IMG]
Notice on the description it states that it may have smooth or toothed margins. I think that's what Baensch is trying to describe with his "undulant rim" even though the drawing depicts a undulate cup also.
My opinion only.... wish I has a copy of Cribb's book to look at.
Q

Ozone

For you and the others the C. nummularia may be a possiblity as it is almost identical to C. peltata.

I think that's what Baensch is trying to describe with his "undulant rim"

I have a number of images of that alage and it is wavy and not toothed but that may mean nothing Oz

Here is an email I got today from

Dr. Mike Guiry

UNIVERSITY OF LONDON
UNIVERSITY MARINE BIOLOGICAL STATION MILLPORT
LECTURER IN MARINE BIOLOGY

&

National University of Ireland

Here is his website

http://www.seaweed.ie

Looks like a Caulerpa to me. Closest I could go is Caulerpa peltata.

Caulerpas are very genetically variable and clone quite easy.

That's what I originally ID it as but others though maybe not.

Last edited:
:lolspin: :lolspin: :lolspin: :lolspin: :lolspin:

This d_m algae Steve has driven me right up the walls. I have spent hours on it :mad: and I'm still not happy:rolleyes:

Let give the poitns to Ozone, he is the one that got me to dig out my Baensch and I must say it is the closest thing I've seen, even though it is a line drawing. There is only one image on the net, the one OZ posted. One of my other books show a pic of the wavy edges and I think I passed this species off to quickly.

Ozone, I think you mean page 324, at least in mine; Mairne Atlas I

So Ozone :thumbsup:

Boomer
Thanks for the "points", but like you I'm not totally satisfied. It probably is a C. peltata aquarium variation. I did find out in reading through various sites that peltata is a morph of racemosa, so this is likely a morph seen due to aquarium conditions.

So now with all the work we've done on this how can we get some for our tanks.
Quentin

Just me, but
I think that is unlikely to be a form of either C. peltata or C. nummularia.

In the photo of the UFO (unidentified freaking object), the blades are singular upon stems ---all of which isn't at all peltate to begin with: you can see the point of attachment at the edge of each discoid blade with a serrate edge.

In both C. peltata and especially C. nummularia, there is tendency towards several determinate branchlets, each leading peltately to a 'cup', all that blahblah coming from a single upright, rather than just individual blades-that-aren't-cups per upright that we see here.

Pauper that I am, I have not encountered this UFO before (Caulerpa is a fairly large Genus and as Dr. Guiry has pointed out, they are quite genetically variable), but I'm imagining it's either an undesirable hybrid, or else a variety ---both involving C. serrulata. Imagine a typical C. serrulata whose bades do NOT elongated, but are severely stunted to resemble discs.

I could be wrong (and I do have a perverse tendency to favor the longshot, oddball, alien-abduction guess), but if I'm not...

we've had sufficient hardship from varieties/forms of Caulerpa the past few years, so I STRONGLY advise caution on this thing's distribution until you can obtain a proper identification.

horge

Last edited:
Back