ID wrasse

xinumaster

reef addict
Can anyone help ID this wrasse on the right?

DSCN1639.jpg

the lfs where I bought this fish said it is a cleaner wrasse from hawaii. But I like to know the specific name for this morh.

I can't find my fish book, but it looks like the cleaner wrasse that when it grows to an adult it becomes an obligate coral polyp eater (similar to a filefish, I believe).

This is a juvenile Pseudodax moluccans.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5594

It is neither from Hawaii nor an obligate cleaner, although the juveniles do clean on occasion. :D

Pseudodax%20moluccanus.JPG

Adults reach about 10" and adapt reasonably well to captivity. I have had no problem getting this fish to accept frozen mysis shrimp. Provide a fine sandbed and peaceful tankmates. Care is similar to any large Halichoeres spp. wrasses. Small shrimp and snails may get eaten when it gets large.

The adults are quite beautiful.
Psmol_u4.jpg

The Hawaiian cleaner wrasse (pictured below) is quite different in appearance. It does not adapt well to captivity at all and should not be collected IMhO.

Labroides phthirophagus
cleaner.jpg

I figured it was a juvi.. but a lot of Juvi wrasses do take on cleaning duties for easy food.

Oh yeah, I knew it wasn't that type of H.W.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11632066#post11632066 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by -=Zepplock=-
It's either Blurry Wrasse or Out-Of-Focus Wrasse, not sure ;-)
:D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11633532#post11633532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xinumaster
Thanks Matt. How big does it grow in captivity?

10" in the wild. I can't say that I've ever seen an adult in captivity. As attractive and widespread as it is it's a fairly uncommon fish to come by in the trade, although it's certainly never very expensive. I would plan on having at least a 180 gallon tank set up for it as a bare minimum.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11640198#post11640198 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xinumaster
Darmm! 6 of my other wrasses got together and just killed him.

Ouch :( ..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11640460#post11640460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by delsol650
Are you joking around perry or serious.

Each wrasse took turns in beating the new guy. They might have been jealous cause the new wrasse was more prettier. I turned off the lights but they keep on following him. Poor guy I didn't got the chance to save him. I just saw him floating up side down this morning.

Last edited:
sorry to hear perry , I've had that happen a couple of times with my wrasses. Mystery's, Lineatus supermales, and other nice wrasses.

Back