Ideal reef tank depth?

hmmm.... while aesthetically I'm drawn to the taller tank (24"), it seems that practical matters like lighting and maintenance favor the 20".

Next question: Are there any negatives to going wider (front to back), maybe, 30 inches?

Height and depth (width) are both a function of reach. I'm tall, have long arms and built my stand so that the top rim of my tank is at armpit height, so I can reach the sand in the front of my 30" tall tank. But anything towards the back requires forceps. An absolutely acceptable trade off to me, but perhaps not for every person. Unless you're using fluorescent, don't see why 30" tall is problematic. I have no issue maintaining high light animals on my sand bed with LEDS (or with MH before that). Ideal tank size to me would be 96" long, 30" tall and as wide as I could fit (36" or so in my current room). What's that, 450 gallons (too lazy to do the math)?

I would agree that a height of 24" (~60 cm) is the limit. Beyond that it becomes a pain to reach things and maintain the tank (unless you go so big that you can dive inside the tank).

I have a 220g and its 30" deep I love it because of viewing. If I had a 20" tank I think that would be cool but I would want a really tall stand because I dont want to squat to see my tank.

I do however had to get on a step ladder to get to the bottom of the tank but I dont mind I think the only time this is required is when I rescape the tank. I am 6ft

A handy grabby tool is used a lot in my tank :) I dont like to be wet all the time.

Another vote for 24" tall. I really don't want a tank any deeper as it gets hard to reach. But that is personal, it's not like I dislike deeper tanks, but when I had a custom tank built I picked 24 and am happy.

I also have a rimless 24" tall, but it wasn't cheap as miracles went to 3/4" starfire for that height despite the tank only being 48x24x24.

Another vote for 24" tall. I really don't want a tank any deeper as it gets hard to reach. But that is personal, it's not like I dislike deeper tanks, but when I had a custom tank built I picked 24 and am happy.

I also have a rimless 24" tall, but it wasn't cheap as miracles went to 3/4" starfire for that height despite the tank only being 48x24x24.

How was your experience with Miracle?
Thanks, Tim

I like the extra height of the 27 or 30 inch high tanks. My tanks are now 24 deep if I ever do a custom built I would go with 36 inch deep or more but build it so that I can access from back and front (built in with fish room behind).

16" is perfect but thats just me.. i love long wide and flat tanks.. but my rimless 93 is awesome too.. 26" tall..

Back