ikky purple tang

sanchoy

Oh no...

recently my purple tang (which i had for over 6 months) got ick. What should i do? Treat, or just feed him seaweed.

He should be fine.

When I added my purple, he got ich really badly.

It went away after a while. No point worrying about it. If he is healthy and eating well, he'll pull through it. Purple tangs (and many others from the Red Sea) are very very hardy

Re: ikky purple tang

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15458311#post15458311 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sanchoy
Oh no...

Treat, or just feed him seaweed.

I suppose that depends on if you want to continue to have parasites in your tank or not. If you are okay with your fish having a continual parasite load, then go ahead and just feed seaweed. Your fish might survive with the parasites or they might not.

If you would like to have healthy fish free of ich, then you'll have to remove ALL fish from your DT and place them in hospital tanks for treatment. You can treat with a copper based med (I use Cupramine), OR hyposalinity, OR the transfer method. In the meantime your DT needs to be completely fishless for 8 weeks. You will also need to quarantine all new fish that you get in the future, or risk reintroducing ich or any other number of diseases.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15458870#post15458870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by snorvich
I think, however, that some cryptocaryon species can survive hyposalinity .

Yes, there are. I believe they are actually variant strains of Cryptocaryon irritans and not a separate species. They are certainly not the norm, but this is one of the reasons that I use Cupramine instead of hypo.

Tangs are ich magnets. My hippo gets ich any time I rearrange the tank. He's usually over it after a few days. I know it's in the system but unless a fish was covered I personally wouldn't stress them further by pulling them from the DT to treat with copper which is added stress on an immune system IMHO.

when my yellow tang was getting ich actually i did freshwater dip on him.....fixed it right up...i might not really suggest its hard on the fish.... or do you have a army of cleaner shrimp?

Back