I'm BACK!!! A newb with a 300DD

IBroughtPopcorn

Hello folks. It's been a long time since my last post. It's been a very busy and hectic ride for me in my work/school life and with my hobby. I came to the realization that my current setup is too difficult to maintain regular husbandry like I need to. So, I have been developing a new plan for my 220. First, I now understand that I will be holding off on my dream of a SPS tank until I am out of school and my kids are a little older so I have more time. So my tank(s) will be mostly softies for now.

I have a space in my basement that is 50' away from where I want to move my 220 tank that has been running for about 2-3 years. A month or two ago I bought a huge (not Nanook huge) stock tank to use as a reservoir to transfer my livestock while I move the tank. Before I move the tank, I will build a stand to make it lower and easier to clean. The top of the glass is currently at the level of my chin and that makes cleaning a little difficult to do without a ladder. However, the height is not as big of an obstacle as the current canopy and light fixture situation. My 6' fixture is setting on top/inside of the canopy. This arrangement makes it impossible to open the lid of the canopy without taking the fixture completely down. For these two reasons, and life demands, I began to neglect the tank more and more.

Now, to the 300DD I mentioned in the title. I came across a great deal on a 300DD with stand, sump, rock, skimmer, lights, and a dart hybrid return pump. So now all my plans for my 220 are scrapped and I have no need for the Rubbermaid stock tank. Much to my surprise, my wife suggested keeping both tanks and then wheels started turning. Now, I am considering keeping both tanks and sharing one sump.

The location of the 300DD is not the same as I wanted to put the 220. I use the 300 to split the large area in my basement similar to the way that you would with a peninsula. Unfortunately, this now makes the plumbing around 100 linear feet to get to the area that I use as a mixing station. I don't want to run all the necessary plumbing 100' along the wall line.

So here is my current idea. I want to make something like a bench that will cover the back portion if the stand. The "œbench" will house the equipment and sump as well as have a removable top or a hinged top to make all the maintenance a lot easier because I will be able to do it standing instead of crawling and reaching under the tank. If I do this, I can run the plumbing from the 220 into the same sump, if we decide to keep it. My concern is maintaining a steady and quiet flow. I think I can achieve this with valving, but I am documenting and asking this here because while I think I have the ambition and desire, I lack the experience and reefing knowledge that many of you possess. Please tell me if I am being too (fill in the blank here), I can take it.

Now time for my questions:
1) Can I drill in the center of my 300DD to make the Overflow and returns in the center of the tank? I know the glass is not tempered.
2) If I cannot drill in the center and I must make it a peninsula style, what size pipes should I use for a bean animal?
3) If I can drill the center, will two 2" drains and two 1" returns provide the turnover rate for SPS (planning for the future)?
4) Should I leave the current overflow setup? It has one 1 ½" with a 1" bulkhead and one 1" return in each corner. Which I believe only gives 4 times turnover. I have read different theories if this will be enough for a successful tank.
5) Should I use one header to supply to returns to both tanks?

I don't have a lot of advice on the drilling. I drilled one tank successfully and cracked a couple small tanks so personally I wouldn't care to try and drill a 300 gallon. If I mess that up that's no good.

But I would maybe suggest checking out one of BRS's youtube videos on flow. I don't think you need to worry about a lot of turnover through the sump. With powerheads you can move plenty of water inside the display and you just need enough going through your sump for your skimmer and/or fuge to work. Think they kinda figured 3x would work.

Welcome back! Lots of smart folks around that have experience in designing awesome setups.

Say it ain't so. And he use to work nights so maybe he will chime in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol. Still planning. I am not sure if I want to keep both tanks or just the 300. Not sure if I can drill the bottom glass for a center island overflow or would it be better to drill the side. I don't want to set this one up and be unhappy with it in one year.

Nook has a dual overflow for sale. Not sure it that would work or not for that size tank.

I am thinking about a 16" shadow overflow box. It claims to allow up to 2500gph turnover. Thoughts? What are you selling?

I'm one to not ask about drilling tanks cause I break them, however my son when he was five had no issues drilling tanks. Just my opinion is to not drill

I need to go to a few LFS and discuss drilling options. I think I really want to do a center island overflow, but if I can't do that, I will probably go with the ghost overflow. They don't take up much room and are less noticeable. I need someone with experience to tell me if I can drill the center of my bottom glass without issue. I am not concerned about the drilling process, but I am concerned with the structural integrity.

Well get on it already. I'll be glad to come over and watch with beer in hand lol

Back