I'm new - Here are some pictures of my aggressive 125 reef!

keeponswimin

Hey guys,

I'm new to the board. - I figured to start things out before I start getting lost on this huge board I should introduce myself and my tank.

- Hopefully to make a few online buddies that I can exchange experience and advice with.

My tank and the specs

Lights 2 400Watt MH's / 5 55Watt PC
Lights are on a cycle from dawn/day light/dusk 13.5hrs per day of light

Filtration: 1 ecosystem I run 150lbs of sand/miracle mud (It works I swear by it) Cheato in the ecosystem. Below the ecosystem I run a 100 gallon sump. - Mostly for water balance and to make water changes super easy.

Waterflow. - I run a 1/4HP pump. (I dont even know what my turn over is, but its alot for what I need.) :)

I run a UV and Carbon.

In the main display I have a 125 gallon acrylic tank
90lbs of live sand / 160lbs of live rock

The tank has been up and running now for a little over 3 years. - Been a very solid tank, Never had a crash, never have had any breakouts of ich...etc - The animals are all very peaceful and work well together.

Live stock.

Tangs:

Kole
Regal
Yellow
Sailfin

2 Midas blennies
Fuzzy Dwarf Lion
Blue throat Trigger
Blue Ribbon Eel
Flame Angel
Pink Spotted goby
3 blue damsels.

(No more live stock for me :( ) hehe - At least until the upgrade.

Corals. - To many to list. - Only softies for the most part.

If anyone knows how to add Jpeg images - I have a ton. - I'm confused that this site allows PDF files, but not jeps. :eek2:

nice tank and Welcome to RC! the setup and health of everyone looks good.

There's a lot of different boards here... and imo it's slow and then wham, you get like 10 responses at once on things =)

how is your tank aggressive? I see the eel - but everyone else appear to be normal reef fish - maybe I missed something?

Fuzzy Dwarf Lion
Blue throat Trigger
Blue Ribbon Eel

These are known to be aggressive fish to my knowledge. - Which would make it an aggressive reef. - Or so I'm told. - Again I know how to run a tank, but I'm not the worlds smartest person with this kinda stuff. My tank is due to the effort of many friends and forum members on other boards, without the assistance of others i'd be lost. :rollface:

Funny you mentioned the Ecosystem setup with the miracle mud. I used the same method on my 55 gallon reef years ago and my tank was thriving. Shortly afterward it was proclaimed "snake oil" by the RC hierarchy. It was time to replace the MM anyway so I switched out the MM and Caluerpa to a DSB with chaeto and the tank was never quite the same.

Makes me want to go back to the MM and Caluerpa on my 75 *wink*

MM is genius. - My tank thrives, my corals love it, my fish seem healthy...heck I have a Blue ribbon eel...with NO problems. I'm sure part of it is luck,...but I account the success I have to the MM

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11612926#post11612926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RumLad
You have to host them remotely (ie, photobucket.com etc) and then post the url / img tag.
Like this:

tank1.jpg

You don't have to remotely host your photos, you can upload them to your personal gallery, then link to them there. There is a size limit however, so sometimes you are better off hosting them elsewhere if they are big files.

Thank you for the welcome! - Thank you for posting a picture!

I'll have to figure out how to do the photobucket thing, that sorta stuff just confuses the heck out of me! - I'm not very computer smart. :rolleye1:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11613503#post11613503 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keeponswimin
MM is genius. - My tank thrives, my corals love it, my fish seem healthy...heck I have a Blue ribbon eel...with NO problems. I'm sure part of it is luck,...but I account the success I have to the MM

Did you mix the miracle mud with sand? I just used it like it came out of the package and I also used caluerpa algae instead of chaeto. Did you like the chaeto better? Just wondering because I am about to add macro algae to my fuge and am thinking about using MM agin.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11614801#post11614801 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mash2k
Did you mix the miracle mud with sand? I just used it like it came out of the package and I also used caluerpa algae instead of chaeto. Did you like the chaeto better? Just wondering because I am about to add macro algae to my fuge and am thinking about using MM agin.

I have them mixed. - Some dont suggest it, but thats how I roll. ;) - Its worked very well for me for the past year or so. - Soon I'll be having to add more. - The stuff works. - People can call it snake oil, but the stuff honestly works. - Every person I've talked to that uses it states that their tanks are healthy and minimal work is needed to maintain it.

I use chaeto, I would suggest holding off to adding it until your thank has a bioload that can support it. When I first added it my tank didn't produce enough waste to feed it and it died. - I waited 6 months and gave it another try and I cant stop the crap from growing. :) - I feed my tangs with it all the time. - They love it.

Back