I'm so disgusted right now..

toddmh

So my wife wanted a powder brown tang(Ohh the are sooo pretty):uzi: Well i did not want the damn thing thinking all the horror stories I hear about these things being ICH factories..

So saturday I picked one up..she loved i t:love1: so I said I'm not putting it the main tank for a couple days to her,so I can observe this thing..fine

Monday evening she is pushing me to put it in the display,I say fine it looks ok..

I swear Tuesday when my lights came on this thing is covered in spots,scratching..The whole nine yards :furious: The worse part is..with 120lbs of rock work in there there is no way I can catch the little tank killer..

I've tried 100 ways I could find on the net..Nothing..Now because of this screwed up fish I going to have to almost tear my whole tank down :blown:and who knows what damage it has already done to my other fish..Never again...No Tangs !!

Don't freak out... Ich can be a PITA but it IS possible to cure it in the display. What I would recommend is picking up some food booster or Garlic Xtreme from ARC and soaking frozen food in there. Feed 3x/day for two weeks. I'd bet my bottom dollar he will heal up. Either way, it's worth trying before ripping the tank apart to get him. HTH, GL! :)

One thing I read on the net is to try to fish the little bastard out with a tiny trout hook with no barb..I would try that now but they are all so fat now from food trying to catch him lol

Last thing I can think of ..is to shock them all to stun him,but that and the m80 in the tank are last resort :)

Kidding..I need a laugh lol

Chasing the fish around with a net and ripping apart the rockwork will more than likely add to the stress and just make situations worse. I have fended off ich in the display tank before soaking food in garlic extract like stated above. I haven't seen ich on my tang in over 3 years now. Good luck, PBT's are beautiful fish.

I would first try garlic(i like to use freshly crushed garlic), good(great) water quality, and keep him well fed. Your other fish, if very healthy fish most likely will not catch it. If the tang is otherwise healthy(eating, swimming ok) and it has not seriously infected his gills, he should def recover. Seems a lil ich when first introduced is common with most tangs.IMO

I really would not be worried at all if its just a lil ich, trying to catch him will just stress him more.

If you go the catching route try a veggie clip in a clear 2 litre bottle with the top cut off. I use a mag float to hold the bottle on the side of the glass(have bottle horizontal). Tie a sting to the top of the bottle. When he swims in pull the string to invert the bottle. Have the bottle close enough to the top so when you pull the string, the top of the bottle is then out of the water.

or just rig a lil sliding door on the open end so you can slide it shut when he goes in. attach a stick to the lil door and out of the water (rigid airline tubing works well)

Both traps have worked well for me.

It's stressful, but I've noticed some traces of ich almost every time I've introduced a new tang, and I've never lost one to it. IME, keeping stress down, keeping the water clean, and keeping them happy and fed with garlic enriched foods has pulled them through.

Its a right of passage. Keep him fat and happy and you will have a healthy fish in time. Even after having a ich free tang in a display for over a year it got stressed out when i moved the rock work and he got ich. Feed him lots of nori. I always liked using selcon when i did. Good luck im sure its no reason to panic.

Like Jdoe says, give it lots of nori. When my tank had ick, I rubbed the nori sheet with fresh garlic before putting it in the tank.
Don't know if the garlic helped, but the tang fattened up and the ick was gone.

Waffleman

great ideas guys..keep em coming lol...He may be sick but he eats like a pig,his gills and fins look ok also

:uzi: "Gives you the ammo you need to knock down Ich" and leaves your tank unharmed.

Try a product made by Boyd Enterprizes called Vitachem.

Not exactly a "med" for Ich. But It's a liquid vitamin supplement and good for many things. I swear by it. In conjunction with regular feeding of frozen or ro washed fresh foods, it will help beat your Ich problem. It's worked for me numerous times and does not harm corals or other inverts in reef tanks either. Temporarily discolors water "yellow". But this clears away in a few hours. Best time to add is at night. Good for HILLE(head & lateral line) Keeps desease and parasite infections at bay and / or away. Has the highest concentration of vitamin c than any other liquid supplement. Builds and maintains the fish ammune system and fights off things like Ich much faster than just feeding alone. Reef tank safe.

Like I said, this stuff helped cure all my problems with Ich & my 3 Tangs.
It may take a little longer the first time you use it. But it seems the more times it's tried in other breakouts it keeps working faster than before.

Everytime they got it over a period of months, I used it each time to help. Everytime the fish got rid of it FASTER than the last time.

Now they almost never even get it ever. Now anytime my fish rarily get a spot or a few, I wait a day, then if they still have it, I add the Vitachem treatment and The Ich gets wiped out fast!

They have it at petworld in greece and Carribbean Forest for sure.
If not the other fine shops around.

Beleive me, in my experience it really works.
Give it a try in your treating along with good feedings and you will beat the Ich.

Last edited:
Chasing the fish around with a net and ripping apart the rockwork will more than likely add to the stress and just make situations worse. I have fended off ich in the display tank before soaking food in garlic extract like stated above. I haven't seen ich on my tang in over 3 years now. Good luck, PBT's are beautiful fish.

second that, don't stress it anymore. If he's still eating than your probably going to be ok, will eventually go away.

In the beginning I fought of ich on almost every tang that i added to my display.

whatever you do....don't let someone else who knows nothing about reef tanks help you in your absence with the ick problem. SO did that to me and totally killed my first tank....everything. And "Jungle"...that insane company that doesn't spell out what their product is for? (other than selling it at Walmart to spouses who know absolutely nothing?) They should go to trial for witchcraft and be burned at the stake
....just my humble opinion.... :blown:

whatever you do....don't let someone else who knows nothing about reef tanks help you in your absence with the ick problem. SO did that to me and totally killed my first tank....everything. And "Jungle"...that insane company that doesn't spell out what their product is for? (other than selling it at Walmart to spouses who know absolutely nothing?) They should go to trial for witchcraft and be burned at the stake
....just my humble opinion.... :blown:

thanks :) I know from reading not to put anything with copper in the tank

Good luck. Your fish may be able to fend it off and live with it depending on the virulence of the strain. However, it will be in your tank for a very long indefinite period of time; years. New additions even those that are disease free or a stress event will bring it back.
Quarantine and treatment with copper, hyposalinity or tank transfer combined with a fishless tank for at least 6 weeks, preferably 10 ,are the only ways to cure (eliminate) it.

Ive seen a TON of fish survive if left alone in a stable tank. I wouldn't stress it anymore by chasing it. I had Ich in my tank many times and it killed some fish, and the others were fine. Later on I added the same species of fish in one case and it got Ich, they all got ich they were all fine. They all survived this time except one baby clown... I've killed every fish I tried to remove and treat on another occasion... Not saying that the treatment did it, but the cupramine was difficult for me to maintain I guess, or something. But they all died. I've seen many tanks just leave them alone, and if your tank is stable, the fish will recover and be immune for a time. PS Garlic doesn't work in any of the testing on it...

The life cycle of cyrotcaryon irritans is well studied and there is plenty of information available on it. Treatments can be managed with attention to ammonia and dosing levels. It's a difficult choice since treatment requires quite a bit of effort and of course catching the fish . It might easily be a situation where breaking down a tank to do so is impractical but there is no question that a proven treatment is the best option for a diseased fish and tank along with quarantine of all new specimens.

I am going to wait till it's in its free swimming stage,then I'm going to zap it with a UV then do a huge WC and then put my tank on a UV zapping cycle,along with feeding brine soaked in garlic..None of my other fish are showing any signs of ICH including the yellow tank that was with the tank

Back