:( I'm very sad today!!

jenn33426

I went to go feed the fish and my Lieutenant Tang was dead. He was my favorite!! It makes me wanna cry!! I'm very very sad!!!!!!!

misread ur original post and thought you named it that, lol. what type of testing kit are you using? any swings in temp, pH, or salinity?

misread ur original post and thought you named it that, lol. what type of testing kit are you using? any swings in temp, pH, or salinity?

Lol, Its the kind you put the water in the viles and put drops in. I don't know what the name of it is. But everything tested good , the temp is good. The salinity is good. The only thing I can think of is I did a water change saturday and maybe it stressed him out. IDK. He seemed ok yesterday. He was eating and everything.

Lol, Its the kind you put the water in the viles and put drops in. I don't know what the name of it is. But everything tested good , the temp is good. The salinity is good. The only thing I can think of is I did a water change saturday and maybe it stressed him out. IDK. He seemed ok yesterday. He was eating and everything.

what size was he and what size is the tank? any other fish in there that maybe they didn't get along?

They are in a 180. There are 3 other tangs in there and a tomato clown. They've all been tank mates for over a month now. I had the lieutenant and a blue hippo tang for months. They were both big, over 6 inches. And then my friend asked me to hold his fish while his tank recovered. Which was about a month ago. And those were a scopas tang , yellow tang and the clown. I've never seen any nipping or anything with them.They all seemed happy.

you assumed something was wrong and haven't been able to find a cause, maybe it was just old.. fish can die of old age too. What a nice luxury in the aquarium world :) You should pat yourself on the back for being a good hobbyist.

Based on what you're telling me, that's what I would do at least.

Sorry to hear. I had a large similar tang(orange shoulder) that died unexpectedly after having it for years in a 180g.. :(The fish was very social, like a goldfish begging for food. Mine did eat a little less before passing but no signs of disease. These fish live for 20+ years and get BIG, no way was it old age. I also had a naso die without reason too, kinda common for naso's tho. I think some large tang species shouldnt be collected as adults for this reason. I doubt it was anyones fault your tang died, a waterchange done correctly on such a large tank shouldnt shock anything.

Is the tank new?, double check your ammonia with multiple test kits if it is to be safe. If you use a hydrometer then buy a refractometer or compare your hydrometer to something better to see how far off it is. My first hydrometer was off by .005, salinity was 1.030 for months and I didnt know it.

Back