imbalanced Ratio between Alk and Ca

M Woodhill

my ca level is abnormally high and hanna reading is 495--incredible

and my alk reading is 3.864dk--incredible too

:uhoh3:

now I'm totally bewildered. i added some brs alk part solution into the sump and the water immediately became milky and my skimmer exploded. this is really a bad signal and a good indicator that hanna checkers should be correct

what made this happen? totally imbalance between alk and ca? any way out of it?

I would confirm that by some other means before I made too big of a reaction. The calcium number seems reasonable but the alkalinity is low enough I'm more apt to believe it is a measurement error. Are you sure that's not supposed to be meq/L instead of dKH, in which case it's perfectly fine.

I would confirm that by some other means before I made too big of a reaction. The calcium number seems reasonable but the alkalinity is low enough I'm more apt to believe it is a measurement error. Are you sure that's not supposed to be meq/L instead of dKH, in which case it's perfectly fine.

Nope. The checker reading was only 68. As per the instruction is just 3.864 ugh. I'll try get salifert and test again tmr

The milk color in the water was calcium participating. How much alkalinity solution did you add and what is your water volume?

Are you sure about the alkalinity checker reading? Mine is pretty accurate when cross checked with other test kits(Salifert and API). It can can be tricky to use . Are you zeroing it properly? Keeping the sample vial clean and dry? Reading the reagent dosing syringe correctly? Not trying to imply you are making mistakes just poiniting out things folks have some trouble with.

I use the Milwaukee for salinity ;it works very well.

I don't use the calcium checker.

Back