imperator help

rduong89

his fins seems to be getting nipped on or somthing. But there is no way this can happen because i have a big panther grouper and a big blonde naso. I think some kind of parasite it is. Can anyone h elp me to cure it?

billsreef

Moderator, 10 & Over Club
Premium Member
Do the fins have bite marks, or just looking ragged? Some parasites, such as flukes, will often cause the fins to look ragged. Pictures will also help a great deal for us to figure it out one way or the other.

flameangel88

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12846435#post12846435 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by billsreef
Do the fins have bite marks, or just looking ragged? Some parasites, such as flukes, will often cause the fins to look ragged. Pictures will also help a great deal for us to figure it out one way or the other.

Glad I read this because I only knew to look for cloudy eyes, head shaking/jerky motion and heavy breathing but never came across ragged fin caused by flukes. Prazipro worked everytime for me in treating flukes.

billsreef

Moderator, 10 & Over Club
Premium Member
Probably flukes then. There are other parasites that can do that, but flukes are the most common. I find FW dips work best. Dechlorinate some tap water, get it up to temperature and make sure the pH is over 7. Place the fish in the dip for 1 to 5 minutes, the closer to 5 minutes the better. If you see little opaque flaps developing and dropping off, those are flukes. Likely all fish have some, so all should be dipped. Usually 3 dips spaced 2 days apart will totally rid the flukes.

jda

Dogmatic Dinosaur
I agree with Bill. I treat all (ok, most... like 95%) of my large angels for flukes with a FW dip upon arrival. Be sure and get some oxygen in the tapwater too.