In this hobby, you are going to learn plumbing skills...no choice about it.

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
A few decades ago, I'd have blanched at the notion of digging a 5000 gallon hole in my yard (koi pond) and mail-ordering a massive pump and 3" hose and skimmer. Or at the notion of putting in a bath sink and fixtures.

You do learn useful skills in this hobby.

A few basic principles.

If you leave a pump connected that is lower than your tank and have NO break between the hose and your tank water, it can siphon backward, even when unplugged. To prevent this you use a 'siphon break' (a small hole in the line at the highest point) or a gap between hose end and water.

If this happens to be your ato (autotopoff) pump, it will seesaw on and off as it drains, then fills---for endless hours---, equalizing the salinity of your tank with itself---meaning it will lower it as it pours ALL the freshwater in the topoff into your tank, sharing equally.

Water alarms (of many decibels) are a quiet but very useful thing to have below your tank.

If you are working with a draining pump during water change and absentmindedly set it down into a bucket near you, even while off---see 'siphon.'

YOu can use metal hose clamps in fresh water. NOT in salt water.

Teflon tape should be wrapped so that the screw-on item goes on in a direction WITH the tape, and does not shove it backwards and break the seal.

Teflon tape takes only a few turns, not a massive wad.

A pipecutter for PVC is a nice thing to have.

GPH means gallons per hour. EG my 54 gallon tank took a 950 gph pump. My basement sump has a 2234 gph pump for a 105 gallon upstairs.

HEAD is, particularly, the distance UP a pump has to lift; a Maxijet 400 will not lift to your tank but a 1200 will. A 15 foot head for an IWAKI 100 will still deliver a very potent water stream to the tank.

Powerheads are little 'assister' pumps that suck up water in your tank and spit it out faster. They are also death traps for anemones and will distribute stinging-cell chowder throughout your tank. Screen those! Or just get a main (return) pump with more oomph.

Leaks underwater are far less significant...ie, they don't matter much.

Don't glue pipes you may ever want to move again---and this includes standpipes and connections to your sump.

Wavemakers are devices that nod or vary the input of the return pump to the tank to simulate ocean currents.

Put a GATE valve in a line you may ever want to disconnect. There are also CAPS for bulkhead connectors, which can help you in a repair job. Never use a CHECK valve (prevents backflow in a line, but clogs like crazy and fails and floods your house.)

Water that has living things in it plus a lot of calcium is different than regular plumbing: it can form clogs and calcium carbonate accretions. To dissolve these overnight, put a part in pure white vinegar, or just set an afflicted pump in it and run it for as long as you dare leave your tank pumpless. A little dose of vinegar is safe with your reef tank.

Pumps that have been used have water in them. This can contain parasites or whatever was pumped last.

ALmost ANY plumbing configuration can be achieved by combining connectors. There are reducers to step down a size, male connectors, female connectors, slip connectors (no thread at all), and you can even reduce a hose by slipping another hose into it, then using a hose clamp.

A hose barb is how you join two hoses: a clamp is recommended in addition if outside the tank. There are barbs with one screw end, too. And if the configuration you want doesn't exist, start putting pieces together at the hardware store until you achieve it.

Hose is measured two ways: inside diameter and outside diameter. When buying, be sure how you are measuring, or you can end up with a hose that won't fit.

NEVER throw out a stub of hose or a spare connector: you will accumulate a box of these that will save your life at some moments. My return line for my ato has a locline adapter shoved into a half-inch inner diameter hose that fits the Eheim pump, but adapts the half-inch hose down to a quarter inch hose for delivery to the tank so it will deliver topoff slowly and accurately. Saved me a trip to the store and works like a charm.

To make a very long post short, expect to learn. Develop a toolkit, a hose stash, a parts stash, and learn how water lines work. Someday you can install a bathroom sink with the best of 'em.

Last edited:
"Don't glue pipes you may ever want to move again....just add unions!"

Apply pipe glue to both sides and twist when pushing them together.

STOP USING TEFLON TAPE... Thread sealer works much better . NO RISK OF Busting the pipe and will NEVER LEAK ......

STOP USING TEFLON TAPE... Thread sealer works much better . NO RISK OF Busting the pipe and will NEVER LEAK ......

Definitely agree I was at wits end with small creeps and leaks around threaded connections using Teflon tape. The thread sealant was used and I haven't seen a drip or salt creep since set up

I use Teflon tape and have no leaks either, but I'm interested in this material if it's 'reversable,' ie can be undone. Mmm, looking at the packaging it should be reversable, and probably some of my supply is that---same type of thing, apparently but different. I stilll have no leaks, but it's nice to know there's an improved product.

I use Teflon tape and have no leaks either, but I'm interested in this material if it's 'reversable,' ie can be undone. Mmm, looking at the packaging it should be reversable, and probably some of my supply is that---same type of thing, apparently but different. I stilll have no leaks, but it's nice to know there's an improved product.

Teflon tape almost always works .But if there is a burr on the threads it can leak there.

You can use plumbers putty or Teflon SEALANT.. Pipe sealant... Its made by the same brands that make the tape. It comes in a small tube and never gets hard. You just need to rub a tiny bit on the threads and then screw together. You only need to turn the fittings slightly Hand tight. Teflon tape works by Creating friction.. Pipe sealant works by Filling the voids and prevents water penetration

So Teflon tape is not wrong.
As said sealant just never leaks and never a risk of cracking fittings.
http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-31265-G...8&qid=1440874822&sr=8-5&keywords=pipe+sealant

here is a example... its like 3.00 at lowes.

My wife was amazed by my plumbing skill when we fixed the bathroom. She said "finally something from this hobby that can save us money. " can't wait to plumb the basement sump

I swear to you, our joint ability to install fixtures (whole bathroom remodel, koi pond, lotus pond, total lawn sprinkler rework, and soon major kitchen makeover) does put a bit of a dent in the reefing debt. Now if it only taught me to replace a house window.

:lolspin:
I swear to you, our joint ability to install fixtures (whole bathroom remodel, koi pond, lotus pond, total lawn sprinkler rework, and soon major kitchen makeover) does put a bit of a dent in the reefing debt. Now if it only taught me to replace a house window.

Actually Replacement windows are simple and easy....I have no Doubt that you can do it as well as a pro.(Almost as good as me:beer:)Just will take you a bit longer.
.. As long as you are not Wrapping the exterior trim with coil stock at the same time. Coil stock and Break is a bit more advanced.

Thanks all! Great thread! I am bookmarking and following.. I did pvc on my last big tank and it was my first try.. If it weren't for unions, I would have had a mess.. I swear I took it apart ten times!

On this build, the previous owner did all of the pvc, but I've had thoughts of doing other things to the system, and just shied away. But that thread sealant is a great tip.. Thank you!

Even if I don't use it right now,I think I'll pick up some!

What should one use in place of a metal hose clamp? Can they still be used even if they are above the water line? Is there a way to wrap them so they won't be exposed to water if they are submerge for a little bit?

What should one use in place of a metal hose clamp? Can they still be used even if they are above the water line? Is there a way to wrap them so they won't be exposed to water if they are submerge for a little bit?

I use them on my Return pumps rubber Connectors.. Do not use them where they can be exposed to the salt water. or above the tank or sump where rust from them could end up in the tank.. I Spray Silicon spray on the ones i use.Even thou they are out beside the tank..
I also spray the silicon spray on the ones on my Basement Bathrooms Waste tank lines that has to be services from time to time...
Lithium Grease spray works as well. Just do not get it in your tank water.Your skimmer will get mad at you and Foam at the mouth

ABOVE or where they will be surly in contact with Saltwater. Use plastic push clamps...

Sk8r:

In your first paragraph you said you use a skimmer on a koi pond, is that right?

I didn't know that skimmers were used in any freshwater applications. I'm no expert but I've seen the mechanicals on a few modestly sized ponds, but never noticed a skimmer. Are they similar to the SW skimmers in our hobby? Are they ever used in fresh water aquariums? Thanks.

[Sk8r's answer: Think: swimming pool skimmer: this one is very like it, and helps not only filter (pad in slot) but collects surface debris, lily leaves, etc. If any of you want help with ponds, go to the Lounge: several of us also have or build koi ponds.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sk8r:

In your first paragraph you said you use a skimmer on a koi pond, is that right?

I didn't know that skimmers were used in any freshwater applications. I'm no expert but I've seen the mechanicals on a few modestly sized ponds, but never noticed a skimmer. Are they similar to the SW skimmers in our hobby? Are they ever used in fresh water aquariums? Thanks.

Surface skimmer ....... Skimmer basket......... Basically same as over flow box ....

Surface skimmer ....... Skimmer basket......... Basically same as over flow box ....

Oh OK. So koi keepers don't use tall acrylic devices that make stinky bubbles & goo?

So you're talking about the grates that skim surface debris like seeds & leaves?

Back