Inconsistent Results- Suggestions Needed

GPB

I restarted my 37G cube on Dec9th. I had a single Ocellaris Clownfish that was in the old crashed tank.

I set it up with Pukani Base rock and a SSB of fine sand.

The clean up crew went in about Dec 20 after I noticed Diatoms and the first few tufts of GHA. Since then clean up crew has done well. Very little algea growth so far. No signs of cyano at all yet.

Things have been going well.

On Dec 30th I placed in the first corals for my tank, a fungia plate, a blastomussa, a favia, a trachypylia, some Zoas, and sympodium.

Hers'a my concern:

The Zoas, the Trach, and the sympodium are doing AWESOME! The Favia has bleached somewhat, the Blasto has never expanded any, it has been completely recessed since I put it in, and the fungia will eat, but it seems to have bleached somewhat also. There are no skeletons visible at this point. Tissue hasn't receded appreciably.

I read that Trachy's are slightly more sensitive that Favia and Blasto, yet the Trachy is doing great.

My setup and parameters is as follows:

Lighting 24" 6 bulb T5: One new ATI 12K bulb, 3 new ATI superblue bulbs, 3 new actinics.

10G sump with Caulerpa and Gracilaria growing in refuge. Lit 24 /7. Seems to be growing.Mag 9 return pump dialed back with valve. Estimate flow about 350 Gph. Use 100 micron socks which I replace every third day. Sump is clean.

I have an ATO and I replace evaporated water with Kalk mixed at 1/2 saturation rate. 1 tsp / gal.

GFO and GAC in sump with all flow going through mesh bags. I have them tucked in bubble trap.

Remora skimmer driven by MJ 1200. Getting decent anount of crud out. Empty cup about twice per week.

I have two MJ 1200's on a wave maker aternating at 1 minute intervals. Each has the Algea Free mod kit on it. They are rated at 1600gph each.

My parameters seem great:

SG : 1.025 on refractometer.
Temp 76 -79 degrees
Calcium: 380
Alk 8.2
Magnesium 1300
Nitrates: 1
PO4 : Undetected
Ph On meter has been hovering between 8.1 - 8.3 daily.

So far I'm leaning towards:

1. Too much flow. Current in tank is strong throughout.

2 To strong , or too little light.

3. Not enough Nitrate in system.

4. or just don't sweat it, they are still acclimating and will be fine.

Any suggestions?

I would say 4. Also, you may want to have your fuge lights off for a few hours a day. Algae needs rest too.

Back