Increasing nutrients to fight Cyanobacteria?

D_cunningham123

I am currently having a bad cyano problem in my reef. My nitrates and phosphates are at 0. I am currently dosing NoPox at 9ml a day. I am planning on reducing this dose to increase nitrates to allow other bacteria to grow and out compete the cyano. I have a bit of green hair algae but nothing serious

I was wondering what people think of this plan or if you have any other suggestions?

I would stop the NoPoX completely until your nutrients rise. I have personally just killed a Frogspawn by driving Nitrates too low and not stopping NoPoX quickly enough. I have other established Algae in the tank I was trying to reduce by keeping NoPoX running and Nitrates low but after a couple of weeks this was too much for the Frogspawn. My other LPS and Softies are ok however.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would stop the NoPoX completely until your nutrients rise. I have personally just killed a Frogspawn by driving Nitrates too low and not stopping NoPoX quickly enough. I have other established Algae in the tank I was trying to reduce by keeping NoPoX running and Nitrates low but after a couple of weeks this was too much for the Frogspawn. My other LPS and Softies are ok however.

Is stopping NoPox completely safe or should it be a gradual process. Thanks for the reply btw.

Nitrate can be adjusted more rapidly than other elements. I stopped nopox after a bottom out about three weeks ago and haven't had any problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey no problem. If you show signs of a bacterial bloom make sure you aerate the water and skim really well. If you see an increase in cyano, syphon it out and clean the area well.

I have patches here and there sometimes. I just blow it all out from the rock work and do a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not had any issues stopping it completely. NoPoX is just a nutrient source for your denitrifying bacteria. Stopping dosing just speeds up the rate at which bacteria will naturally reduce as Nitrates drop.

9ml/day nopox into 265 gallons is an extremely small dose. I'll bet you notice nothing different after completely stopping.

Back