Increasing tank salinity

Bike2k

I haven't added water to my tank yet as I'm still gathering pieces, but I have a salt question. A couple of threads I've read indicated that you don't increase salt content at the DT or the sump. Just how then do you increase it? For example, if I bought sea water from the fish store (most sell water directly from the ocean) and it isn't at the correct level how would you go about increasing/decreasing salinity? I figure to decrease you would just add ro water a little at a time until your level is correct. but what is the best way to increase it?

Dr. Reef

Dr. Reef at ur service
RC Sponsor
when water evaporates it leaves minerals behind(salinity increases). so u top off with regular ro/di water and it brings the levels of salts back to normal but in ur case u can top off with saltwater for few times to bring salinity upto level u want.

Note: if u dont wanna wait for evaporation take a gal of ur tank water out and pour back in a little higher salt mixed water back in and keep doing that till u reach the level u want. mind you if there is going to be livestock in the tank u cant do this very often. increase very slowly eachday.

if salinity is higher than normal then u take out a gal and pour back rodi water.