indoor reef lagoon

tropills

has anyone done one of these locally ? I know of one up near batavia , but I wanted to see one a little closer to home. I'm considering building one and selling my 8 footer. just wanted to see how it looks in person before I start building one and find out I don't like the way it looks. granted they are a top view only design but it would be so much easier to aqua-scape and you could have endless ways to lay it out and shape it. you know not just a rectangle or square. if anyone has any pros and cons of doing a lagoon other than only top viewing please feel free to leave your comments.

One guy near here had one for a while (goes by "BangGuy" on another forum) If i remember correctly he took it down because the novelty of the top view wore off.

I had plans to buld an indoor reef lagoon pond but ended up keeping goldfish in it. Maybe some day will redo it

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14147819#post14147819 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AC11337
One guy near here had one for a while (goes by "BangGuy" on another forum) If i remember correctly he took it down because the novelty of the top view wore off.
no he still has it, he lives right near my nephew up in warsaw. I've seen his lagoon and it's a real sweet set-up. kinda hard to see in it very well because he has it supported by cinder blocks and they are standing on end not flat. and the lighting system does not go real high either.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14147982#post14147982 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GMaquarium
I had plans to buld an indoor reef lagoon pond but ended up keeping goldfish in it. Maybe some day will redo it
what did you build it out of ? frame and liner ?

A preformed plastic pond shell. I have used liner on freshwater quite a bit but I think its not the best in salt.

I've researched the liners and there tolerances to salt and as long as I use the high end solid rubber liner I'll be fine. yes the cheaper vinyl liners will break down over a short time due to the corrosive environment that it will be exposed to not to say what the intense lighting will do to vinyl. the rubber is much more durable and will hold up to most everthing I will encounter.

I just thought with all the bright light, heavy and sharp rock and saltwater line is just not a good idea. I am sure there are some that will hold up to it.

I would consider a preformed plastic type pond , but I haven't found a real large size in the shape that will work in the space I would be installing it. that is the reasoning behind the rubber pond liner, not only will it satisfy my size wants but I can design it to any shape,width and depth that I want.

The hydroponic stores sell different sized plastic/fiberglass bins made for light and water exposure. might want to check them out to see if they have a size for you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14150108#post14150108 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GMaquarium
What size and shape are you looking for? I can check for you
I'm looking around a 4 W x 8 L x 2 H. kind of a L shape but not quite of a severe corner in the angles. I want to make it more of a rounded corner to help with flow direction and deflection. also I think it will look more pleasing to the eye than just a L shaped lagoon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14153877#post14153877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by block head
what about lining pond form with epoxy like the plywood tanks?
I'm trying to keep the cost low, It would cost me 300 bucks in epoxy and cloth easy, going with just a liner there would be no extra cost and a whole lot easier and not nearly as messy, besides if I ever had to move it out of the house it would be a lot easier to take it apart that cut it apart.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14148030#post14148030 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tropills
no he still has it, he lives right near my nephew up in warsaw. I've seen his lagoon and it's a real sweet set-up. kinda hard to see in it very well because he has it supported by cinder blocks and they are standing on end not flat. and the lighting system does not go real high either.
you're referring to URS member Guy. (He hasn't posted on RC for a couple of years now.)

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=90526&papass=&sort=1&thecat=500

well I decided to go with the rubber liner, I'm going to try to light the lagoon with one 400 watt halide and natural sun light as it will be half under my windows any way, if algae becomes a problem I will just add window tint to the lower pane of glass and install another lower watt halide. The lagoon will be a slight room divider as it will be installed in between the family room and dinning room . half of the L shape in each room. my wife seems to be very receptive of this idea but we shall see once I start construction. the build won't start till spring but I'm going to get what I need now so I'll have it when the weather warms up.

well the liner is on order. and I'll be getting lumber for the frame work I hope this week, The wife told me to get rid of the extra couch we had, it was in the way for the lagoon anyway. so now all I have to do is relocate this computer desk into the other room and I'll be in good shape to start the construction of the frame work of the lagoon.:smokin: I'll be sure to take a lot of pictures once I begin to build from start to finish.

Back