industrial halides over reef tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11687297#post11687297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CorbetJackson50
and im not quite sure what munti tap is, i assume more than one bulb per ballast, or something with how its wired
Some ballasts either have a jumper you can move to different voltages, or different screw terminals to attach the incoming power to.
With most electrical devices the voltage can swing 10% in either direction without problems. My house is 120/240 witch would be out of range.

I know when I fixed the wiring on an industrial light at my brother's shop the fixture was 220. If the lights you are looking at are the same I would think it would be more of a pain in the butt to try and use them. Having to add 220 outlets might require an electrician ($$) plus (if they are like the ones at my brother's shop) the ballast are very big as are the fixtures. If anything post a photo if you can.

I always wonder the same thing about industrial MH because I work at an amusement park and we have MH just laying around from the same thing, like building tear downs. Its a good way to get a fixture for sure. I am excited to see if this will work for you. good luck.

most industrial lihgts are a 3 phase voltage like 208 or 347.
Your house is most likely 120/240v
Using a 208 light on a 240 volt supply is going to shorten its life.

208 voltage can be single or three phase. with a 1000 watts it is probably single phase. I would venture to say they are probably high pressure sodium or mercury vapor. neither of which I think will help your corals. Also if it has a parabolic reflector you will probably bleach everything in the tank.

Back