industrial halides over reef tank

CorbetJackson50

I work at an airport where they are getting ready to tear down about 6 old hangars, each hangar probably has 100 or so lights i am pretty sure they are 400 or 1000 wat halides, i am setting up a 8ft prop tank and wondering if these fixtures will work. i would buy new bulbs ofcoarse. They might be 240 instead of 120. I can bring one home or take pictures of some if that would help. Could this be free lights for my prop tank?

I think they would work??? Can you take some pics?? Also it would help to know their wattage. And also what type of socket??? Se(mogul) or De(HQI)

I'm tagging along on this one since I'm setting up a prop tank as well.

GO CATS!!!!

NO they will not. THe bulbs that industries use dont have the same par as aquarium bulbs but you can use the fixtures.

yea i know i would need to buy bulbs, i will see if i can get some specs/photos. i hope they are halides and not high pressure sodium or whate ever else they use.

yea i know i would need to buy bulbs, i will see if i can get some specs/photos. i hope they are halides and not high pressure sodium or whate ever else they use. The Ballasts are big as are the reflectors

I bought a light off of ebay because an electrical engineer I know said that there is no major differences in ballasts as long as they work.

Asa long as the bulbs are changed you can use them. They are used a lot here in Thailand as aquarium fixtures are not readily available.

well i got a little info off of them today, they are 1000 watt, 208 volts and it says bulb type M47 which i do belive is halide. The reflectors are awesome if nothing else i will get some nice reflectors.

if you don't have 208 available (which you probably don't) some appliances that can run on 208 can also run on 240 which you should have. Check the specs on the ballast.

If it free then you can connect it up on a breaker and hit the switch :D (I wouldn't take this advise)

Back