Inexpensive lighting/What are the choices

OldSchoolNewbie

OK, I know this subject opens a ton of doors. I kept a 75g reef tank years ago, been out of the loop for about 10yrs. I have been looking at various setups to get back into the hobby. I am seriously considering a 58g Oceanic tank, but the lighting issue has me puzzled. Tank measures 36x18x21. I know the old addage you get what you pay for goes a long way ... however I found a light system that sounds like it could stand a tryout. Here it is so get out the firearms and start a shootin!
Odyssea Metal Halide System (Electronic Version)
non-corrosive powder coated housing
extra large built-in cooling fans
1x external electronic HQI ballasts
1x internal electronic CF ballast
individual power cords
tempered glass splash guard
mounting brackets
1x double ended 250W HQI bulb
2x compact fluorescent 96W bulb actinic blue
4x plug in bluemoon LED
For a price of $249

That's a good setup for that sizie tank and it sounds like one heck of a deal! I think you should get it . . .

I have the same tank.. The one thing you may want to consider is the crossbrace in the middle of the tank. One MH bulb wouldn't work for me because it casts quite a shadow in the tank because of the brace. Also the one bulb left the sides of the tank in a noticeable shadow. I use instead 2 175MH.

As far as the light do keep in mind you get what you pay for as you stated above.

Edit: I see you are looking at a 58. I have a 65 gallon. Only difference I believe is mine is a few inches traller.

If I remember correctly there is no cross brace on the 58g (one of the selling features for me). I also found this light setup: Currents 36" Nova Extreme 4x39 watt T5HO w/ 3 Lunar Lights $179.95

I saw the new Odyssea MH fixture in person the other day and let me tell ya. This thing is built like a tank and very slick looking.

Infact when I am upgrading my tank, I am planning to get their 250W X 2 MH version :)

Since I have never owned one, I'll leave it up to you to do the your research ( tons of info here so do a search ). The quality has been quite suspect and has had plenty of problems in the past but may have been corrected so do your searches and make your own judgements.

With regard to the T5 fixture. It has a serious weakness because it doesn't have individual reflectors. Expect the light output to be considerably lower than other T5 setups. If your going to do T5s you should research T5 lighting more. Reflectors play such a huge role in performance.

Last edited:
Old School, as a fellow hoosier, i'll tell ya, the odyssea is a hit or miss for some. I personally have never had one, and i am thinking of getting teh 1134w 72" fixture. I'm surprised to see dhnguyney sign off on the light, as he seems pretty intelligent, so if he says yea, then i say yea, you will not find a better deal, i promise you. Good luck and welcome back, yea, aquatraders is tough to pass up!

I would still replace the bulbs for better ones though. But the new electronic fixture looks and feels very nice. Being electronic also means no more ballast catching on fire ordeal.

Infact you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the build and design between the Coralife Aqualight fixture (a $750 fixture) and the Odyssea. I could be wrong but from the look of them you would think they were manufactured from the same factory :)

D.

Hey D, kinda off the subject but what do you think of the skimmer i just picked up in my gal, and i'm glad someone else thinks the same about the odyssea, You can pm your thoughts if you have time, thanks!

You got a Via Aqua eh? It's not a bad skimmer at all even out of the box. But I bet that if you mesh mod the pump, it would really kick some. I like the fat squatty body and the huge collection cup.

D.

10-4, my thoughts exactly! I'm starting the experimental phaze of my career with cheap skimmers and mods. Got burnt on a 300 dollar remora pro with a extra large collection cup and mag 7.....burnt my butt after seeing how big a piece of crap it is. Thanks man, as i have mad respect for the boog..............but sometimes get tired of the pic : )

I have a 36" tank as well, and while looking at aquatraders did not see a 2x 250w fixture. Can you provide a link?

Thanks.

Thanks all for your input, this was the type of discussion I was looking for.
mbierzyc the light in question was only a single 250 HQI bulb

Good luck with the Odyssea/Jebo/China stuff. Myself I went for 4x39W T5HO.

30$ ballast WH7
46$/4 lamps (Arcadia)
12$/8 sockets

Total 88$

I made a 6" top painted white so It reflect light pretty good!

Back