Infested with "pineapple sponges"

1biguncfan

I realize the term pineapple sponge is overused in this hobby but when I search types of sponges, the image that comes up most often looks exactly like what I have in my tank. My 150 gallon has been set up about 3 months. I moved a lot of LR from my old 55 when I upgraded. Noticed a very few of these sponges when I was moving the rock. Now they are EVERYWHERE. I guess it had something to do with the move. I know they aren't bad for the tank but the are starting to be an eyesore. Whats eats these things?

I'm not sure what will eat them, for me they just seemed to disappear overnight after a few weeks. I believe they use a small amounts of silicates, its just another cycle to add to a large number of cycles reefs go through.

Suck them out when you do a water change?!

Ive got so many that would be near impossible. Plus they grow best in the places that are hardest to get to. Surely there is something that will eat these things. Whatever does would thrive in my tank!

Did you add new sand to your bigger tank. Im almost positive that alot of pineapples mean you have high silicates in the tank. They are harmless filter feeders but I wouldnt want tons of them either

They will start fading away as there food does. If you think about it.. Seeing how there food source is not refreshed, the more there are the faster there food will be consumed causing there own demise.

Back