inherited tank - now new

jclaus

We inherited a 150 gallon tank that was fully functional and full of corals, hard and soft. We relocated the tank, water, fish and corals and had just finished refilling the tanks when the back of the tank broke out. Bummer! :headwallblue: We picked up the fish and threw them in the last 6 inches of water we had along with all the coral in dry buckets and took them to a LFS. We then put all the remaining rock and sand in tubs, but salt water in and have had pumps circulating the water for the last week. We replaced the 150 with a new Aqueon 210 gallon (dual overflow) and stand and are trying to get the system back up and running as soon as practical.
The new system will have a new 40 g breeder sump with existing filter sock, protein skimmer and phosphor reactor. I am replacing the sand in the tank with aragonite (not super fine), and keeping the base rocks we tried to save. Lighting will be new Radion LED's. Any idea how long we will have to wait before we can start putting things back in the tank? I feel bad for taking up the LFS space and want to get our stuff out ASAP.
I haven't had a tank up and running for a couple of years, and never one of this size. I know slow is good in the reef process, but feel compelled to rush things given the circumstances. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Do you know why the glass panel came apart? Make sure the floor is level. I would hate to see the new tank come apart too.

Not sure why the tank broke; the back panel of glass actually broke. We are going to be more diligent in leveling the tank this time. We are actually putting the bigger tank in a different location.
Encouraged that when I checked on the live rocks we saved found some of our crabs still a live and kicking.

It sounds like the rocks & sand can go back in immediately. You might have a small but probably abbreviated cycle. When ammonia & nitrates are undetectable you're ready to add the corals back in. Fish can be added too but slow enough not to promote an ammonia spike.

After getting the new tank, new stand and new sump, all plumbed, This week we got new sand in, (aragonite medium grain) and added the live rock we saved and water. Noticed a couple of pieces of rock had some coral on them and curious if they will try to come back. I think one is a star polyps and the other maybe some zoanthids. Also added the lights - 3 Radion xr30W LED's. I am wondering if i should add corals, or fish back first. Would it be dependent on the corals? I have both hard and soft on live rock. I can see where the added live rock might help the system, but I have heard corals are more sensitive than fish.

here is an image for a little perspective...if I can figure out how.

Attachments

• 20150124_134044_resized.jpg
    20150124_134044_resized.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 0
Back