Injured Fish

mav.23

Hi everyone! Today I got home and I noticed my baby clownfish has a rip in the middle of his little caudal fin. He acts normal and is swimming, just like he usually does. I can't tell if one of his pectoral fins was hurt because it is so small and hard to see. My Valentini puffer has a shredded anal fin. I saw my damsel picking on both in the past, quick snaps, nothing major. My female clownfish and damsel got into a full on fight the other day. Did my damsel shred my fish's fins? I've heard of valentini's shredding clownfish fins because they nip. Would my clown have shredded them right back? Or would rock work have caused the injury? The clownfish is a clean tear so I don't know how a nip would've done it, unless it pulled. No matter who did what, how do I treat it? I don't want to hurt anything in my aquarium, and while I have a quarantine, I have fish on the way that need to go in it. Thanks, Mav

Do a search for fin rot. One fish having a fin nip possible. Having two fish at the same time have fin issues.... raises a red flag. Here is a picture of a clown with fin rot... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2631183&highlight=fin+rot

Thank you! I looked, and no it isn't fin rot. I'm not 100% upon closer investigation the puffer's fin is actually hurt, I think it may just look that way. The clown's tail isn't nibble marks, it is a split. I will try and upload pics in the morning.

Do a search for fin rot. One fish having a fin nip possible. Having two fish at the same time have fin issues.... raises a red flag. Here is a picture of a clown with fin rot... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2631183&highlight=fin+rot

I do have an emerald crab. His claws have a small bubble on its tip, and I feed him a lot using tongs so he shouldn't be hungry. I saw him lunge at the damsel once and at the baby once when they were bothering him, but he didn't snap. More like shove. I have blue leg and scarlet leg hermit crabs. I've also heard males use their tails to make a nest and could have hurt it during that. The split is even, and apparently not uncommon. It is a straight line from about 1/3 maybe 1/4 of it's tail to the end. I don't know if there is a hitchhiker anywhere..

Back