Injured/rescue Mag.

Banff

Well, I found a Mag in an LFS near me and it had been there 3 days. They had (surprisingly) been treating it with cipro over those 3 days. It was kind of half-inflated and expelling tons of gunk. They got it from a supplier in LA.

This is a red-based, yellow-tipped mag and I was quite interested. I asked to get up on a stool to reach into the tank so that I could waft the tentacles apart and get a look at the mouth as well as inspect it a little further. I discovered a tear down one side and long-story short, they gave it to me to bring home and try to nurse to health. I immediately began cipro treatment via the method described in the sticky thread at the top of this page.

It has released enough gunk to cloud the water at least every 12 hours, causing us to accelerate the water change and re-dose to about every 12 hours.

It is not very sticky and won't stay down. It inflates everything except the injured side and delicately "holds-on" with a couple of verrucae at a time. It responds very positively to light (inflating, reaching for the light).

I have it sitting on a pyrex plate (slightly concave) on top of a pyrex bowl (to give it height for the light). There is just enough concavity to the plate to keep it loosely situated on top.

Anything I should be doing to help it heal, other than keeping up the clean water and meds? It's a really pretty nem.

The area around the injury is very difficult to assess because the nem keeps itself tight around the margins, almost pinching off the injured part. I think the tissue is necrotic and dissolving. I keep wondering if I should slice away the necrotic tissue and allow it a clean edge to heal. But in all honesty, I feel like accuracy would be virtually impossible because I can't see the wound well, and because the nem is the consistency of snot when it wants to be.

Anyway, any words of advice at all?

O would not slice it if I were you. The pinching off of that tissue is it's own self defense and healing. They have learned to ward off injuries from predators. A slice or dice down the foot is the bad part. That is why that part is always hidden or protected.

Some pictures or video would help visualize what you are talking about.

If at the end of the ordeal do you get to keep it or have to return it for them to sell?

I get to keep it. They were giving up. I'll get some pictures tonight after work. Thank you for input.

Folks have cut mags in half as a way propagate in the past, so a cut in the foot doesn't have to be fatal. Though in concerts with a raging infection may well be. Good job to try to save it though. GL

So I got home from work and it's completely clouded the water (8 hours since last change), is completely deflated and I can see mesentary. Positives are that it's still holding on with its verrucae.

I changed water, re-dosed and am hoping to see some inflation. Otherwise, I think I'm going to cut out the damaged "pie-wedge". Not sure I have much to lose at this point.

So I got home from work and it's completely clouded the water (8 hours since last change), is completely deflated and I can see mesentary. Positives are that it's still holding on with its verrucae.

I changed water, re-dosed and am hoping to see some inflation. Otherwise, I think I'm going to cut out the damaged "pie-wedge". Not sure I have much to lose at this point.

Sounding like it might be too far gone but it's worth a shot until it melts. Mags seem pretty tough if you treat them. I have one right now going through its second round of treatment. Mine looks terrible a couple days after treatment stops but then goes back to looking nearly perfect once back in treatment. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. The damn thing looks like hell right now and I can't keep myself from just watching it for hours.

Back