Instant ocean mix to 11 alk and 380 calc

codydemmel4

So as the title says my instant ocean, both boxes mixed to 11 all and 380 calc. I even tested both three times, got the same result.

What do you guys suggest I do?? I need to move my SPS over tonight that are used to my alk at 8-8.5 and my calc around 420. Do you suggest I raise my calc to like 450 and hope the alk doesn't burn all my corals? 8' really clueless at this point

Hi, i guess all you can is acclimate as you would with any other coral. I have no idea how to lower alk but maybe you can bump up the calcium if you have a supplement to do so.

Goodluck

Maybe you can use some of the water in the other tank to dilute the alk and raise the calcium slightly.

I wish I had the other water. This is a new setup 180 gallon dt with a 75 gallon sump. I only have like the 10 gallons the fish and coral are in so that really won't do anything :(

Anyone else??

Maybe you can use some of the water in the other tank to dilute the alk and raise the calcium slightly.

This is the best advice. Use as much water from your existing tank to establish the new tank. The corals will react as if it is a water change. Just acclimate slowly. You also need to add new water to the holding containers, but not much, say 1/4 volume for each container.

It sounds like there is nothing in the new water yet? I'd raise the Cal/Mag to match the water your corals are in now (likely Mag is low as well). Alk is a little trickier. You can drop the Alk with Muriatic Acid, but you'll need to run an air stone in the water at least overnight to raise the pH back up after dosing the acid. Can the corals wait a day?

It sounds like there is nothing in the new water yet? I'd raise the Cal/Mag to match the water your corals are in now (likely Mag is low as well). Alk is a little trickier. You can drop the Alk with Muriatic Acid, but you'll need to run an air stone in the water at least overnight to raise the pH back up after dosing the acid. Can the corals wait a day?

The corals really can't wait because they're just in a bucket and it's been since this morning. They're already not looking the best. Will that high of a shock be a huge thing to them? Or will it drop over the next couple days?

I think the question is, would Alk or pH shock corals more. I'm not a chemist or biologist so I can't say, but I know big changes in Alk will definitely shock corals.

To be honest i am no expert and i still consider myself a noob. My alk drops in my reef tank about 0.2 dkh a day so it could take a while for it to drop to where you want it. Everything tank is different.

I think the question is, would Alk or pH shock corals more. I'm not a chemist or biologist so I can't say, but I know big changes in Alk will definitely shock corals.

I agree. My Red monti cap came from a system that i now know was around 10dkh. My alk was at 7.3dkh and it lost it's red pigmant. But i think they should recover fine as mine did. All my other sps twig's seem fine now as well.

Back