instant ocean reef crystals question

LOLEagles

New to Instant Ocean - I just made 45 gallons with instant ocean reef crystals to do a water change. I've had a pump running in the 55 gallon drum for 5 hours and the water is cloudy, is this normal? I can't see the bottom of the drum. Other salts I've used start off cloudy when you first add the salt then clear up.

From instant Oceans website - My salt had clumps from what I remember.

The most common cause of poor solubility is moisture. Some of the compounds used in sea salts are hygroscopic, meaning they readily and quickly draw moisture from their surroundings. If your sea salt has any “clumps” or hardened sections, then this is a sure sign that moisture has been introduced. Sea salt that has absorbed moisture may dissolve with the addition of aeration. The best way to avoid moisture in your sea salt is to re-seal the container immediately after use.

I wouldn`t dump the salt my io reef crystals takes along time to mix like many hours and my tropic marin reef mixes in like 20 mins just the quality of salt you get what you pay for and with the tropic marin I don't have crud in the bottom of my mixing container like with io reef but I don't always have $85 for salt sometimes the $40 grabs your eye

I mix 10 to 20 gallons in a 32 gallon brute with a maxijet 1200 I just plan on the io reef crystals to take 24 hours if I need to change that day I mix tropic marin and its ready for me in 30 to 45 mins whether or not some people like that I have never had any problems but its a cost thing.......

pump I'm using is a pond master model 24 rated for 2400 GPH in a white 55 gallon barrel I've been using for mixing the last 7 years

Having a larger tank, I have gone through many boxes/buckets of salt.

Taking all into consideration one more theory to add to the bunch is that it is very possible to run into a funky batch.

As much as manufactures try to provide us with consistant product, we end up with some crummy batches.

Frustrating but happens. To save $45 or what ever you spent, maybe call up the manufacture and request a voucher for another batch?

Hope this issue eventually "clears up" for you.

Back