Instant Ocean to Reef Crystals

Debbie64

Save a fish; eat a burger
Premium Member
So, I've been using IO all this time and since I've added a few SPS frags along with the clam, I've noticed my calcium has dropped a bit. I don't use additives, I just drip Randy's 2 part and that's been doing a great job in maintaining ca, alk and pH.

I do plan on getting more SPS - will I be all right switching over from IO to RC? Ill effects?

Oh, yeah. Here's my tank. :D

91538tankfull2-20-med.jpg

I would suggest sticking with IO form what I've read in my research its really the only salt mix you should use.

I switched from IO that I have been using for 11 years to RC and have had great growth from my SPS corals, more than I had with IO

From what I understand. If you are using RO/DI water in your system... they are marketing the reef crystals to put back what the filtration takes out. If your not using the filterd water, stick with the IO. Plus the fact that RC's are more expensive.

RC isn't always more expensive... if a good sale is going on. But there have been a few threads about some problems with RC - scummy water when mixed, a brown/orange film, etc. It may be worth doing a search to read more, but there are of course mixed reviews about both.

Yes, I do use RO/DI. There's only a couple of bucks difference between the IO and RC so that's not so much a factor.

So, Marinelife, when you switched, you didn't have any issues come up? Algae outbreaks or anything? Did you switch by doing your regular water changes with RC water? I would assume that would be the least disruptive.

Thanks!

I have had no problems and two other local club members have had the same results and no problems. We got it for $31.99 but $2.15 shipping each bucket. Beats any local price! I just did my normal water changes

I switched over from IO to RC about 6m ago and am happy with the change. I get higher Alk & Cal which I like. ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298386#post9298386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marinelife
I have had no problems and two other local club members have had the same results and no problems. We got it for $31.99 but $2.15 shipping each bucket. Beats any local price! I just did my normal water changes

Where you getin Reef Crystals for that price :D

my bucket of IO is just about gone

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298732#post9298732 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marinelife
Drs Foster and Smith, it is on sale. We purchased 8 buckets of Salt so shipping would be lower

ahhh

I thought I was missing out on something different

Our local club is in the buyer program, we usually get free shipping but I think the order has to be over $500

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9298386#post9298386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by marinelife

Gee that price has to be nice.. I saw it the other day locally here for $80 a bucket..vs $40 for IO. I dang near fell over.

Back