Interesting find in LFS coral system: Lucania parva (Rainwater Killifish)

ThRoewer

While checking out the coral system sumps at Aquatic Collection I spotted some reclusive fish there. The staff told me they would catch them regularly when cleaning the sumps, but a short time later there were new ones so they must be reproducing there. They had no idea what kind of fish these were. I found that interesting and asked them if they could catch me the one I had seen, but that day the hunt was unsuccessful.

A couple of weeks later I spotted another in a different sump and this time we managed to catch 2 of them:

attachment.php

attachment.php

From their shape and clear sexual dimorphism it was instantly clear that they belonged to the Cyprinodontiformes.
At home, I was able to identify them as Rainwater Killifish (Lucania parva), a species native to the east coast of the US and Mexico. They are however also found here in the SF Bay Area as an invasive species.

It is likely AC got them as eggs attached to algae farmed in Florida or as bycatch with live brine shrimp.
Even though they are more brackish fish, they obviously do fine in full saltwater.
I have these two for now in a small tank without a pump and they seem to do fine. I'm not sure where I will put them later, but given that they can handle large temperature swings, they might make suitable tank mates for my Bluespotted Jawfish.

Male:

Lucania-parva-02.png

http://www.ncfishes.com/families/fundulidae/lucania-parva-02/

Female:

Lucania-parva-female.png

http://www.ncfishes.com/families/fundulidae/lucania-parva-female-2/

Attachments

• IMG_20190728_001213349-cc.jpg
    IMG_20190728_001213349-cc.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20190728_001215221-cc.jpg
    IMG_20190728_001215221-cc.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 2
Interesting that they are egg layer and reproduce without any help from us in the sump.

As long as there are pods in the sump and the flow not too strong and turbulent they should do fine. A refugium should be the ideal breeding ground for these guys.

Back