Interesting things happening with Calcium

Syntax1325

Acro Addict
I have a 125 gallon sps dominant tank that has been up and running for about 10 months and things are going very well, good growth and good color.

I have been using kalkwasser in my ATO since the beginning and I recently transitioned to 2 part via BRS. I've been dosing the alk portion for several days and I'm finding stability (about 8.3) in the 110ml a day dose. (using the BRS soda ash recipe). I've been keeping a close eye on my parameters and my alk has not moved more than .03 in any 24 hour period.

The puzzling part for me is my calcium... it has not moved at all and I have not added any calcium to the tank since I made the switch to 2part. I've used two different Salifert tests and both give the same result... about 450ppm. I brought a water sample to my lfs and they tested with a hannah checker and got 500 and then again with their salifert test and got 460.

I also had them check my mag against my test kit and there was some deviation but they both were within acceptable levels to keep alk and mag stable... my kit read 1290 and their kit read 1400 (both were salifert tests)

I don't understand how I could be putting 110ml of alk in my tank for four days and my calcium hasn't budged.

Everything in my tank is looking good so I really shouldn't complain, but I'm puzzled and I don't understand what is going on which makes me nervous.

I'm using the Pacific Sun Kore 5th doser and I'm putting about .7ml every ten minutes of alk into the tank.... I've placed the doser output right next to my main syphon. When it doses even that small amount I'm getting a small white cloud that quickly clumps into dandruff like particles... they scatter quickly so I'm not sure if they are going back into solution. I don't have any particles in my display. Is this normal for 2 part? I brought this up because it may be relevant to my "issue".

Any thoughts?

I would guess that you don't have a heavy SPS load, in comparison to the readily available Calcium. With that much water volume, you have a lot of Calcium floating around. I remember reading that if all of the carbonate in the ocean precipitated out instantly with Calcium, the ocean's Calcium would only drop about 20ppm. Carbonate and Calcium fluctuate at much different paces.

Back