Internal Pump vs. External Pump

Internal Pump vs. External Pump

• Internal

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • External

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Siapin

I'm settin up my 29g aquarium, and I want to buy a new pump. Currently, I have a Mag 7 pump (internal) running my 16g.

External pumps tend to be more expensive, so there should be some advantages to them. I figure that one disadvantages to internal pumps is more heat transfer from pump to system water, thus raising temperature. What are others? Which one should someone buy?

So, do I save money and buy an internal, or spend extra for external pump? Why?

DN1125.jpg

vs.
JW1135.jpg

External are better for maintenance and heat reduction in the tank. They are also more realible in the long run.

Siapin,

my take evaluated where you want the pump and the setup and decide on a pump.

they are very different pumps, and one is not better than the other, its the application that will determine which one would be "more" suited, not better, but "more" suited for the job...

internal pump:
-cheaper(not because of quality, but because of less parts, and different environment)
-is a "flow" pump only
-water cooled
-just drop it in, so easier to clean, and easier to install

external pump
-fan cooled or heat sink cooled
-they come either "flow" or pressure rate
-can be noisy
-cost more (different parts, ect)
-harder to install, maintain, more prone to leaks
-needs space to install, more pluming parts to install it, ect

thats just general, now "you" need to decide which one is best for your particular application,

where is the tank going to be located, can you stand any noise?
have heat issues?
price?
have space for installation?

ect, again that poll its pretty much useless, because your particular case most likely will be different from those answer it, good luck with your choice,

sam

I always ran my mag-drives external, even though they recommend not to. Never a problem with a mag-5 or mag-7 running external.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6911347#post6911347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I always ran my mag-drives external, even though they recommend not to. Never a problem with a mag-5 or mag-7 running external.

Thanks for that imput. Also, it's all totally helpful for me...

Right now, I have that Mag 7 (700gph), and also an Iwaki (540gph) that I've never used. I might try out both to see which one I prefer...Maybe i'll even just buy a new one.

Thanks all...

If there are more opinions, please let me know.

Back