Invasion of Asterina starfish.... What do you guys think of the Harlequin Shrimp ???

j007dreamer

I have a uncountable amount of Asterina starfish they are everywhere.
In small amounts these starfish are ok but in a cleaner tank in large amounts they run out of food!!!

So guess what they are starting to eat my Coral !!!!

I need something that will help to kill off some of the population
I was thinking of a Harlequin Shrimp what do you guess think. Will the shrimp eat the whole star or leave half of it to rot in my tank ?

Any ideas ? I'll take anything right now ... there are way to many to pull them out

Yes the harlequin will eat the hole starfish , I had same problem in my tank , I counted 54 of these guys on front pane only,I bought 2 harlequins & within a month there wer gone , Then i took harlequins in put in there own tank so i could feed them , They are pretty cool to watch .

I have hundreds in my 125 and never seen them eat coral. Are you sure they are eating it and not climbing over it? What are they eating?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11654131#post11654131 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sasscuba
I have hundreds in my 125 and never seen them eat coral. Are you sure they are eating it and not climbing over it? What are they eating?

Same with my 120. I usually remove the ones that I see in the morning on the glass just to control the population.

They seem to be eating my zoos and also some star polyps. They they sit on a spot of the star polyps for hours and then the next day that area does not open. since they are small it is only a small area but they dont open
From what i know of if there are to many in your tank and not that much food they like to eat that is when they will start to eat the coral

There are several species of asterina stars, some eat coral, some don't. You guys probably have different species.

Back