Inverts keep dying

I'm using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals.

That's why alk is low and CA is high. I use RC and have the exact same thing. When I dosed kalk CA was stupid high (over 500) to keep the Alk in line. Now I only dose alk via baked baking soda in top off water. Not quite as accurate as dosing pump but it'll do for now until I figure out exactly what my plan is going to be. (I.e. nice dosing pump like Kore or full Apex and all the accouterments).

test newly mixed water (24 hrs old), look at alk and CA. You'll probably notice that CA is around 520 and alk is @7 dkh. Mine is, usually. Now - let it sit for a few days (I mix up enough to last a month at a time). Test CA and alk again. I must raise alk every time in "new" saltwater that's been mixing for a few days.

Last edited:
The guy at the LFS said to buffer my top off water?!?! I'd never heard of that. Just because he was super young doesn't mean he doesn't know his stuff, so I thought I'd ask here. I should stick my probe in a cup of that water just to see.

I'll add salt to the water I have for this weekend and test today and Saturday before the change.

You can run kalkwasser in the top off water.

I dose two part until there is a significant demand, then i run kalkwasser. Once kalkwasser no longer keeps up I add a calcium reactor.

Back