Iodine or Iodide?

Mako72

I add Iodide (Seachem's aquavitro Vibrance) to my tank....But I have read others adding iodine to their tank...I had thought Iodine was harmful....are some stating Iodine when they actually mean Iodide?

Have you tested for, and found your tank water lacking in this?
It's not wise to add anything you can't or don't test for.
Most reefers do not add iodine.
I've never used it in any of my tanks and that's over 15 yrs now.

Here is a helpful aricle on Iodine.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

Note; Iodine takes many forms. Iodate and iodide are the predominant forms in seawaer and are taken up by orgainsms. Molecular iodine(I2) such as is found in coral dips and lugol's solution is used primarily as an antiseptic dip and can be toxic.

I have never added it, and do regular water changes and have fragged many of my LPS and softies in my tank.

IMHO, not needed in your tank if you are doing regular water changes.

I hope most people dosing "iodine" are actually dosing iodine or iodate. I wouldn't dose I<sub>2</sub> itself. I think iodine dosing in any form is not useful, FWIW.

Interesting topic. After a discussion with David Saxton I started to dose small amounts of Lugos 3 drops a week in 400 gallons of water. I can honestly see improvement in all Montipora and the SPS with Blue and Green have shown a much brighter appearance.

I think it was a few years back, but I seem to recall Randy posting that while he used to dose Iodine (in some form that I don't recall), he no longer does, stating that he found no need for it. (other than exceptional circumstances)

It's hard to test for accurately in a meaningful way and there seems to be plenty in saltmixes and food.

As for dosing lugol's, it shoud be noted that it contains idonie(I2) and iodide. While the I 2 will breakdown into other products it is antiseptic and toxic. As an example from the article cited in my earlier post. Rainbow trout die at 1ppm I 2. They tolerate up to 200ppm iodide and850ppm iodate. There are many "iodine" supplements that do not contain I2. In my opinion , they are much safer than Lugol's . Lugol's works well as an antiseptic dip for corals.

Back